I'll be pulling my 27' Ericson out of the water

pcb don

Member II
I'll be pulling my 27' (1976) out of the water next month and would appreciate some opinions. First the bottom paint, I'm in the Gulf, Florida panhandle and have been hearing some good reviews on the Interlux Micron 66. I plan on doing some extensive sailing this year around the gulf, the keys and possibly a bit of the Caribbean. I don't plan on ever being in cold waters with her. I've read some of the earlier threads, any new opinions?
While I'm on paints I may paint the topside while she's out of the water, any opinions on top paints?
I'm replacing the rubrails with the Wefco rail (white), but they don't carry the end caps. Anyone have any ideas where I may find them?
I need to get a ladder as it was missing when I bought her. She still has the keyhole type brackets (13 1/4 center) mounted on the stern if the original may still be available, although I'm leaning toward a permanently mounted ladder, one that goes far enough into the water, (at least two steps?) to get out easily. Her request.
Finally I want to wash the sails. Any suggestions on what to use?
Thanks

Brisco

Member I
Finally I want to wash the sails. Any suggestions on what to use?

I am planning on doing most of the same projects you are the next couple months... Hull Paint, Possible Topsides paint (Comparing Pettite to Interlux) and some sail cleaning.

I have not done this yet, but in my research I found some instruction: Sailnet Project Boat

Wow, I am actually surprised how well that worked! The sail is actually pretty respectable looking now. I am treating just a few stains with a very (too much so that I doubt it will do anything I am afraid) diluted mix of bleach and water, but overall what a difference a simple bath makes.

My method was to fill the tub half way with almost hot water, then disolve a scoop of tide detergent in it. I placed the sail in the tub, then filled the tub all the way up. I didn't scrub the sail at all but agitated the water every half hour for about 2 hours with my arms (basically sloshed the sail around a little. The water looked really dirty so I drained the tub and refilled, adding another scoop of soap. After another couple hours with a few agitations by hand, I loaded the sail into a laundry basket and took it outside. I hung it on the line and hosed it off with the garden hose on both sides. I took it in and today I let it dry. I am really happy with the results.

Review the article above for Photos.