Improving Ventilation in E27

Gary Freeburg

Member II
I would like to improve the ventilation in my E 27. Has anyone added cowl vents with dorade boxes, solar ventilators, etc. with success? If so, where were they placed to be aesthetically pleasing and functional? In addition, I am thinking about replacing the cowl that my anchor chain and rode run through (on the bow) with a circular hawes pipe, suggestions?
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg

SV NJORD
E 27 #299

Guy Stevens

rather than replace it make it dual purpose

Rather than replace the cowling in the anchor locker with a hawse pipe I would keep it is as a colwing and make it so that it can be a hawse pipe.

Generally I install Bronze threaded deck plates, purchase the cowling that fits them, and an extra cover. The extra cover has the center removed to be the hawse pipe, insert.

When at dock, the cowling is installed, and the chain and nylon stored below in the anchor locker. At sea the deck plate is threaded in to prevent water ingress completely, having tried everything from modeling clay to nerf balls, I can report that the only thing that works 100% of the time is a threaded deck fitting. When I go to anchor I insert the cover plate with the middle cut out, and run the chain and or nylon through it.

When you want it closed off you unscrew the modified center, and screw in the full o ringed cover plate. That way you don't get any water below.

You can even do a variation on the threme using the cowling vent if you are anchored in a nice quiet anchorage, and don't have an all chain rode. The nylon just comes out of the cowling and out to the anchor.

Guy
:) :egrin:

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Re: Improving Ventilation in an E27

Gary, I too was in the same situation years ago when we owned a 1979 E25+ and resolved the problem with the addition of an opening port on the front slope of the cabin trunk. I installed a 10" Lewmar hatch that required a simple teak base in order to get it to conform to the curve of the fiberglass (easy details supplied too if you wish). the result was a hurricane effect with it open and anchored into the wind. It's the hatch ericson forgot to install, a variation of which appeared on later models. Email me back channel at glynjudson@adelphia.net and I'll send you three images inside and out of the install on our boat and later on an E27. Glyn, Ericson Independence 31 hull #55.

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Guy,
I like your solution to the vent problem and closing off the area with a deck plate when under way. Do you use a bronze cowling with the bronze deck plate? What did you use to cut the hole into the bronze deck plate used when anchoring? I currently have the flexible PC cowl with chain and rode running through it to the chain locker. It lets in a lot of water (just bailed a gallon out of a hold just aft of the chain locker) and I'd like to dry up the space. Also, there is a little delamination of the deck near the cowl that I will repair this fall when I can get to the project. Thanks for your suggestions.
All the best,
Gary Freeburg

Guy Stevens

Deck Cowl

The cowls are rubber/plastic which attach to a bronze screw in ring. You could even use the ring for thread protection device.

http://marinco.securesites.net/scpt/ProdPage_b.php?loadItem=N10803C_Nicro Recreational

I used a drill, and a metal cutting blade on a sabre saw for one, and was lucky enough to find an old solar vent which was broken for another (It was a bronze screw in one, and all I had to do was remove 4 feet off of the bronze threaded part.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Nick Reynolds

Member II
Gary, For what reason the additional ventilation? My E27 has what I believe are the stock vents, one at the bow and two along the top of the transom. My boat stays very dry and mildew free by leaving the forward vent facing forward and the aft ones facing one in each direction. The key to this, however, is to open one of the hatches on the quarterberth when you leave the boat unattended. This is the only opening between the forward and aft parts of the boat. By opening this, the air can flow completely through the boat. So if you are just trying to kepp the boat dried out and mildew free, try this. If you are trying to cool it during summer days, you may need additional vents to get adequate air flow to keep the interior cool.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Forward Hatch

On my E29 I cut a 3" hole in the plexiglass cover on the forward hatch and installed a solar powered vent. I couldn't see cutting another large hole in the deck to create a potential leak. OBTW, my forward hatch is not an aluminum frame hatch, it's a teak frame with a plexiglass cover (lense).
Art M.

Last edited:

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Thanks Nick and Art for your posts. Nick are you talking about the covers under the quarterberth cushion? I do open those when I leave the boat as I do with all the hold areas just to keep the boat as dry as possible. I've just noticed, in my limited experience with my boat, that there is really no flow of fresh air through the cabin. I do open the hatch over the head (which is the same as Art's, teak frame and plastic cover) and also the portlight in the head and leave out a drop board or two which all helps. I have thought about installing a solar vent in the same location Art, which would help when I'm away from the boat but wouldn't help much when I'm aboard. I may also yank the portlight out of the head and over the locker and replace them with openers and screens. Unfortunatly, my boat is the older model 27 and doesn't have the hatch directly over the settee area also.
I appreciate all of your suggestions and look forward to working through some of them in the next month.

Thanks,
Gary Freeburg
E 27 NJORD