• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Inherited Small Inverter - fire hazard? useless?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
If I may intrude on your holiday weekend, I have a question:
We got this small inverter with the boat. We've never used it, so no idea if it even works. I'm looking for something just to charge a laptop, nothing else. No hair dryers, coffee makers, etc.

Would this even do that? Is it dangerous?

What does "75w for 5 minutes" mean?

We hope to leave on a cruise in a couple days, so there's no time to set up something more robust or permanent. If this won't work, we can just find a cafe ashore and charge the laptop. And failing that, the laptop is not mission critical.

inverter small.jpg

Thanks much,
Jeff

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Oh, those things work, as long as your circuit has sufficient capacity to provide the 12V input to them. 75 watts out of the inverter probably suggests needing at least 15 amps out of the 12V DC circuit feeding the inverter. Check your fuse and the wiring gauge to see how feasible that is for your setup. “75W for 5 minutes” means that it is being pushed to its limits and will overheat and shut down after 5 minutes at that output. Your laptop charger probably doesn’t draw that much - and even if it can, it almost certainly doesn’t over the entire cycle of a battery charge.

i’ve found them useful for charging tools, laptops, and multi-port USB chargers - and not much else. From an engineering standpoint it is embarrassingly inefficient to use them for this purpose (12V DC > inverted to 110V AC > rectified back to DC for charging) but it is convenient and in absolute terms it is a negligible amount of power. I have not found them useful for powering plug-in drills or saws...or anything larger than a Dremel tool, really.

A few other considerations:
* they are far bulkier than was ever imagined when the 12V “cigarette lighter” socket was designed (1950s?), so they have a habit of slipping out of the socket and disconnecting. It is a terrible idea to have those sockets set up vertically, allowing gravity to support the inverter’s placement, because if a coin were dropped into the open socket, strange smells and lights would emanate from therein. So their placement is horizontal and big devices slip out. You have to check them often.

* they are designed for use when the engine attached to the 12V power is running. When that is happening, the voltage provided to the inverter is actually more like 14V, so they draw less current to provide a certain wattage (watts, or power, equals voltage times current; if voltage goes up, current goes down at a certain power level, and fuses respond to current). When the engine is not running, they draw somewhat more current and get warmer, more finicky, and are more likely to blow fuses in the circuit.

* the AC power they produce is generated using relatively simple circuitry, and doesn’t have the smooth “sine wave” shape that real wall power has. Their output is more of a “square wave” which can affect some electronics. I’ve never noticed a particular issue except that it seems to make chargers run notably hotter than they do on wall power.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wondered what inverter my little Keurig coffee maker would require when not on shore power. The answer is a big one--up to 1500 watts during the heat-water stage.

I use a WM 150-watt for the laptop. Laptop batteries apparently require about 60 watts.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, inverters do have their uses. But when a cigar-lighter outlet is wired to one of our circuit breakers, often it is with small gauge wires suitable only for iPhone charging (with a USB insert). I used 10-gauge, because the laptop inverter would share the outlet. The breaker is the fuse.

Listening to hear anything wrong with that.

Capture.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used a similar small inverter for charging my Norelco shaver for several weeks of cruising. It has also kept our former MacBookPro charged up. As noted, it's an inelegant solution, but workable for "occasional" usage. Take this as an unscientific data-point. :)

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a bit more informed.

inverter mac chargter 3.jpg

This is the charger for my 2021 MacbookPro. What I read on it is:
140.0 W, 102.5W
75.0W, 27.0W
15.5W Flextronics
etc . . . .

Which might as well be Sanskrit. The bits above 75W worry me, much as a cave man approaching a glowing flashlight for the first time. I haven't had time to beef up wiring for this cigar lighter circuit, so I'm inclined to forego boat charging, tighten up my animal skin tunic, and shuffle off with wary sideways glances, to a cafe to recharge. Or, read a book.

Elgyn

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a bit more informed.

View attachment 50931

This is the charger for my 2021 MacbookPro. What I read on it is:
140.0 W, 102.5W
75.0W, 27.0W
15.5W Flextronics
etc . . . .

Which might as well be Sanskrit. The bits above 75W worry me, much as a cave man approaching a glowing flashlight for the first time. I haven't had time to beef up wiring for this cigar lighter circuit, so I'm inclined to forego boat charging, tighten up my animal skin tunic, and shuffle off with wary sideways glances, to a cafe to recharge. Or, read a book.
Basicly it says it's variable output and what you plug into it determines the output voltage

I use a small 500w inverter for my computer and smaller electronics then use a 3000w to run everything else

peaman

Sustaining Member
Which might as well be Sanskrit. The bits above 75W worry me, much as a cave man approaching a glowing flashlight for the first time.
The charger needs 2.0A at 100-240V. The other numbers listed above "EMC" have to do with "ElectroMagnetic Compatibility"

As to "beefing up wiring" to a cigar lighter, note that as simple as they are, sockets come in different maximum amps ratings. I have a 240W inverter which needs 20 amps at 12V. I had to shop around, but I was able to find a 20A cigar lighter socket. It has a ceramic insulator instead of the more common plastic insulator used in lower-rated sockets.

Last edited: