• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior Cushion Re-upholstery

David Grimm

E38-200
About two months ago I dropped off my dogger and cockpit cushions at a local marine seamstress. $300/ cushion to be rewraped in navy sunbrella and 1,500 for 5 new windows in the dogger. Still haven't herd back from the guy. I hope they're finished soon.

The 4 fixed port curtains were next on my list and figued I would get some cool skull crossbone fabric off ammazon. Being of simple construction I decided to tackle them myself. Sewing machines have jumped in price due to facemask making entrepreneurs. Sailrite machines new have jumped to $1,100. I got one yesterday off Craigslist for $700 with many options in like new condition. In 15 min I was back in 8th grade home economics and sewing away. Outboard and wisker pole cover are next.

As for interior cushions, mine are microfiber and look like they cost the PO a large fortune to have made. Well beyond my sewmanship abilities!

Dave

lindaloo

Member II
Bravo Dave.
Outboard covers are a great project. Use an old pillow slip or sheet to make a pattern, sew it and see how it looks. Make adjustments. Then make it out of (best) sunbrella. We used a pull-cord around the bottom to secure it. Or use an elastic cord salvaged from a clapped out gore-tex jacket. Ditto BBQ cover.

Sailrite machines handle UV thread particularly well I believe, better than dressmaking machines.

Rob

IMG_1136 (1).JPG

hanareddy

Member II
A little late, but if you haven't started your project, here's my experience (in Maryland). I am paying around $4800 to replace all of my cushions and foam on my E29. The foam is 1K, fabric 1500, and labor 2K. My upholsterer works on RVs and homes, so a boat is new to her. But she came aboard and did thorough measuring and has had detailed conversations with foam supplier. She even got approved to buy wholesale through Sailrite. I didn't want to use them, thinking I could find cheaper fabric, but I couldn't. And the shutdown has been a factor. I went with a premium fabric because I have kids, a dog, and friends who drink wine that stains. I don't feel like getting cranky when they spill whatever is in their hands.

eknebel

Member III
Hanareddys price is about right for Maryland. Details add up Piping, buttons add to the cost. heavy foam for sleeping cushions. Stripes-cost more due to wastage and labor to line them up. It took us two years to figure what fabric, getting samples, living with them played out as covers. Whew, but in the end very happy.IMG_0179.JPEGIMG_0279.JPG after, then before picture.

SpicePacket

Blogs Author
Hi! we do boat upholstery. I’d say ballpark 2500 - 3500. sunbrella isn’t necessary on the interior cushions. Use a cheaper breathing fabric or vinyl for cushion bottoms. if the foam is still in tact you can just recover, saving some $.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I spent about $3500-4k all up for new foam and fabric on my vberth and saloon cushions. quarterberth and the insert for the drop down table are not done yet.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
If you don't sleep on your quarterberth cushion, it may make sense to shorten it. I use my quarterberth for storage, and there is less room and less stability if you store things on top of a cushion. I had mine shortened for appearance, and so I'd still have a cushion for the nav table. Makes it easier to access the battery compartment and remove/replace the q-birth access panel and as well.

20190130_152605.jpg

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Hanareddys price is about right for Maryland. Details add up Piping, buttons add to the cost. heavy foam for sleeping cushions. Stripes-cost more due to wastage and labor to line them up. It took us two years to figure what fabric, getting samples, living with them played out as covers. Whew, but in the end very happy.View attachment 34237View attachment 34238 after, then before picture.

GREAT improvement! I really like the buttons and shaping you had done.

Margrieta

Hull 213 34-2
we have a 1987 34-2 and looking to beef up the v-berth. I am thinking a nice3-4 inch topper should do the trick. is a queen the best fit for the v-berth? or should I go with 2 twins. Of course I cant find anything that has the measurements. (and I left mine at the boat- was hoping to get one before our next trip down)

Chris Mc.

Member III
I just had Cayo Hueso fitted with all new cushions & fabric. Also having a custom mattress made for the V-berth and hopefully will be done this coming week. Here’s some before & after pics.
I can attest; it is expensive but keeping the wife happy is worth it.

Attachments

• DA5222C6-1496-437C-9766-351FF1DEFC00.jpeg
    DA5222C6-1496-437C-9766-351FF1DEFC00.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 4A324F4F-D643-4F36-952E-3BF183ED73A5.jpeg
    4A324F4F-D643-4F36-952E-3BF183ED73A5.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 24F8F473-8269-4F86-A790-913AF4325132.jpeg
    24F8F473-8269-4F86-A790-913AF4325132.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 26

Sailingfun

Member III
New sew machine: $200; sunbrella, 500; varios, 200... total, less than a thousand and learn a new skill during covid time... priceless!!

Chris Mc.

Member III
WOW! thank you, and its bigger than I was thinking I was going to order a 4" queen size topper but looks like we will need the king. Thank again this is awesome!
Definitely go With a King. When I first got my 32-3, I bought a King size memory foam topper and with the use of an electric knife, trimmed it to fit and at the widest end of the V-berth there was only inches to discard on each side.

jtsai

Member III
Definitely go With a King. When I first got my 32-3, I bought a King size memory foam topper and with the use of an electric knife, trimmed it to fit and at the widest end of the V-berth there was only inches to discard on each side.
Double Tap: this is a silly question, does the memory foam topper go on top of existing V berth cushion or replaces existing cushion? I am visualizing the process accessing storage compartments under V berth.

Chris Mc.

Member III
Double Tap: this is a silly question, does the memory foam topper go on top of existing V berth cushion or replaces existing cushion? I am visualizing the process accessing storage compartments under V berth.
The “topper” goes right on top of the mattress/cushions.

Parrothead

Member III
Addressing the question in the first post,
It was a local trade school for mine - the current equivalent of old school shop class
  • I made the patterns (easy)
  • I had new foam cut to the patterns.
  • I made plywood backs per pattern.
  • I delivered the plywood, foam, fabric, matching synthetic thread and stainless staples to the shop class.
  • They did the rest.
  • Total expense including a $300 gift to the class for an end of semester party was $1600. Compare @ $4500 estimates (16 years ago) from pro shops.
I tailored my cushion project to fit their skill set. That was the reason for plywood backs, so they could use their staple guns. The stainless staples I provided eliminated rust issues later on. I have to admit I like the plywood backed cushions too. After mine were done I heard Island Packets did the same thing.

Another consideration was using no-pattern fabric. That way I wouldn't be concerned about matching the pattern between seat backs and bottom cushions.

I also provided a roll of vinyl to cover the plywood bottoms. It made for a complete and professional appearance.