Interior finishing

ChrisS

Member III
Thanks for the photos and write ups. This is a very motivational thread! At various points each year, I resolve to give the interior wood a refresh, but the prep is what gives me hesitation: not the time so much as the possibility of harming veneer, particularly in the galley area by the companionway stairs, and that shelf above the hanging locker that Kapnkd shared a photo of. I've test-sanded a bit and getting a uniform surface seems elusive, but maybe I just need to go for it a section at a time.

Sun and salt water have taken their toll over the years, and there is stark contrast between much of the interior, which is in good shape and would be easy to spruce up with a couple of coats of varnish, and these weathered areas. Every time I get on a C&C or Pearson of the same vintage I realize what a great job Ericson did to make the interior of the boat look like the interior of a boat, not an RV.

In February I repainted the decks with nonskid paint, and it gave the boat a new shine. I'd like to get the same effect down below.IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks for the photos and write ups. This is a very motivational thread! At various points each year, I resolve to give the interior wood a refresh, but the prep is what gives me hesitation: not the time so much as the possibility of harming veneer, particularly in the galley area by the companionway stairs, and that shelf above the hanging locker that Kapnkd shared a photo of. I've test-sanded a bit and getting a uniform surface seems elusive, but maybe I just need to go for it a section at a time.

Sun and salt water have taken their toll over the years, and there is stark contrast between much of the interior, which is in good shape and would be easy to spruce up with a couple of coats of varnish, and these weathered areas. Every time I get on a C&C or Pearson of the same vintage I realize what a great job Ericson did to make the interior of the boat look like the interior of a boat, not an RV.

In February I repainted the decks with nonskid paint, and it gave the boat a new shine. I'd like to get the same effect down below.View attachment 33619

View attachment 33620

Nicely done exterior work!! It sure looks great and brings the decks back to new again.

...You’re right in wanting to be careful/attentive with your sanding of the thin veneers.

I first used a heat gun and scrapper to remove most of our old built up varnish before going at it with sandpaper. Just be careful the scrapper doesn’t gouge the veneer or that too much heat at one time in one spot burns the wood. I nipped my veneer with the scrapper in a couple spots but was lucky it wasn’t in a very visible area.

Again, stay away from the more course grades of sandpaper. I started with 120 and finished with 220. Lots of patience, not sanding to hard and careful observant attention to the veneer is needed. That said, it’s not as bad to do as you may think.

Here’s a couple more photos showing the results of the heat stripping and start of some sanding. Also shown is one (maybe two?) coats of Gun Stock stain before varnish.

9F4F68B5-5129-4AD4-85BC-3729CCE32D35.jpegEDB51966-AAB5-4C3F-B1D5-460A5EED8509.jpegF85CD904-A68D-400F-8705-23C38989C19F.jpeg