• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

IP Banning

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi, Sean. I just thought I'd mention that one of the members ("Parrothead") told me that his IP address was now banned from the site. That is interesting because I also am experiencing the same thing when I happen to be connected through my University's VPN connection, which I sometimes need to do to access certain subscription databases available to University faculty. Until today, EYO didn't care whether I was coming in via VPN or just my Spectrum IP address. So I'm guessing maybe this is somehow related to the mods you are presently doing?

Thanks,
Alan

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
On Friday, March 19th, I extended blanket bans on a variety of IP addresses in response to a huge increase in hacking and spambot activity - mostly coming from Russia.

In one case, this may have impacted users in the Bay Area - so I went in this morning (Sat, Mar 20th) and rescinded it. If you or someone your know has had issue accessing the site and is getting an IP ban warning, please let me know.

Thanks,
//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Hi, Sean. I just thought I'd mention that one of the members ("Parrothead") told me that his IP address was now banned from the site. That is interesting because I also am experiencing the same thing when I happen to be connected through my University's VPN connection, which I sometimes need to do to access certain subscription databases available to University faculty. Until today, EYO didn't care whether I was coming in via VPN or just my Spectrum IP address. So I'm guessing maybe this is somehow related to the mods you are presently doing?

Thanks,
Alan
Hi Alan - Yes, I am aware of that issue and released the IP which was banned yesterday which I think was blocking a number of people in the Bay Area. I sent Neil a note to advise him of this. If you speak with him, please tell him to try again and to check his email.

Thanks,
//sse

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi Alan - Yes, I am aware of that issue and released the IP which was banned yesterday which I think was blocking a number of people in the Bay Area. I sent Neil a note to advise him of this. If you speak with him, please tell him to try again and to check his email.

Thanks,
//sse
Thanks, Sean. I sent him an email with your message as a backup.

Alan

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update: So far (as of 20 March @ 1545 PDT) there have been a total of two (2) blanket bans revoked of the 26 or so I set yesterday. If anyone hears of other issues with users (that they cannot access the site because of an IP ban), please let me know.

Thanks,
//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update: One more IP address found to be at issue. Was reversed; total is now set at 3 total.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update: ...and one more I noticed was blocking an Amazon crawler in MD.... That makes 4.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update: ....and one more blocking our friend in Italy... That makes 5.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Ahhhhh....24 hours and no other complaints on IP banning! :egrin:

If anyone hears from anyone about having these issues, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm moving on to other issues.

//sse

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Actully I'm seeing the IP ban anytime I use my NordVPN account. I'm not that worried as I just turn it off for this website.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Actully I'm seeing the IP ban anytime I use my NordVPN account. I'm not that worried as I just turn it off for this website.
Yeah, they use lots of IPs in Europe so no surprise that we would cross their paths. The Russians are also using (or possibly spoofing) a number of IPs in Germany and France, so I have to cut more carefully there. I've also blotted out several known cloaking servers and VPNs in Europe as we've had applicants who refuse to divulge who/where they are (which, in and of itself is actually a very low bar; so their calling attention to it is not really very helpful)....

If someone wants to retain their privacy, it's easier to just create a persona, retain your anonymity, stick to that and then leave it alone. In the end however, people typically slip and the truth usually comes out by their own hand (text in post: "....the Foss waterway is very slow and they just replaced the docks..." easily equates to Tacoma, WA and Balfour Building === AKA: 705 Dock St, Tacoma, WA 98402). Add to that the guy mentions dentistry, and having to get "over I-5" and you are off to looking at dentists with practices south of I-5 in Tacoma, who may belong to a yacht club. It's actually very easy to run people down and figure out who they are. I recall one guy on Facebook who lived in VA (extent of public info) who was beating up people over politics, including a friend of mine. Fifteen minutes of looking into him yielded he was a horse vet who was semi-retired and moved to VA three years ago from Santa Barbara; also where he went to vet school (Ohio State). I had stopped there (his path was pretty easy to see). So, I posed one simple question to him mentioning horse tranquillizers, the Santa Barbara Ventura Veterinary Medical Association members and faculty at OSU he likely would have known - and *POOF* he dropped his account and disappeared.

I don't know - to me it's really simple: EY.o is a tiny, non-monetary club/community/data repository - so the cloak-and-dagger is not needed anymore than would be showing up at a yacht club door wearing a full body suit and hood and expecting to be welcomed. If the latter is not acceptable then I don't know why the former would be. Call me 'Old School' - I just don't see the point. I mean, I understand using a proxy - and that's fine as far as it goes. However if one is going to live their lives and interact with others, the usefulness of it is really limited only to the packets being exchanged and the path they're taking (network security). Ultimately, human nature will intercede and render much of it pointless.

People often forget that the internet is only a virtual extension of the world we live in - and just like the real world, people want some reasonable assurance of who they're dealing with, reasonable behavior, to be treated with respect, etc.

=)

Anyhow....I digress.... :egrin:

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update: ...And one more for another member in KY.

Last edited: