• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

It's that time of year again

Steve

Member III
Like the rest of you, we are about to splash again for the (short) season. How about better communication this season on possible destinations or our favorite weekend spots, etc... -Just in case we're in the neighborhood, we could swing by.

Just a thought?

Steve
e35-3 #159:nerd:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hi Steve. I splash a week from today. I got 7 months last season. Where are you anchored now? I am in S. Portland and spend most my time in Casco bay aside from the 2 weeks down east every September.

Steve

Member III
7 months -- sounds good!

The boat is down in Mystic, CT for now. Kind of hoping to get into Maine the last week of June then into and over the 4th, then back to CT, (Admiral willing). Let's hope the fall is warm and hurricane free to get those 7 months. Otherwise we spend some long weekends randomly out at Nantucket, Cuttyhunk or Block Island.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Steve, let me know when you are in the area. Our YC is a great place to stay if visiting Portland. I also know some great spots in Casco Bay to spend some time.

Steve

Member III
Marinas?

I'm lucky to have a choice of where in the NE to keep the boat, only limited by the drive. Portsmouth seems like a waiting list.. forever? What does Portland offer for slip space and average pricing? This is why we are down in SE CT because of availability, destinations, warmer water, longer season, and marina competition.

Steve

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I do not know much about slips in the Portland area as I have always been on a mooring which are available. I know Demillos has a waiting list for slips but most other marinas have space. Maine Yacht Center is more expensive but offers a golf membership with it's fee. I don't like slips or golf so I have no reason to do business with them.

I am at Centerboard YC and we have a waiting list. It is based on size of boat, not how long you have been on the list. I got in the first year ahead of others who had been waiting years because my boat fit the space available.

Steve

Member III
Thanks

It sounds like even after a number of years that we last checked, nothing has changed. I think southern Maine and NH need more marinas to take pressure off the system and help control prices. However I'm sure we will never see it happen. I can still remember half joking asking the Wells harbor-master about a mooring, ha ha you can imagine the look I got! Although we live in NH, southeast CT has provided us a good experience.

I think if you couldn't travel and stay on the boat for awhile like we do, trailer sailing is about the only option left for a NH/ME local with out serious connections.

Perhaps going (much) further north might see some availability but I'm not sure if all the natural AC will pass the Admiral's inspection.

Steve

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Maybe I was not clear Steve. There are slips and moorings to be had in Portland Harbor, Falmouth and S. Freeport.

Steve

Member III
Gotcha

treilley

Thanks, need to re-visit those areas, we haven't had any historical luck south into Portsmouth. Freeport sounds interesting, it can't be any more expensive then CT. We paid $100/ft last year and this year $120. Mooring go about $60. Portsmouth would be ideal, a short travel time, but yikes that river is a real bugger.

Steve

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I think if you couldn't travel and stay on the boat for awhile like we do, trailer sailing is about the only option left for a NH/ME local with out serious connections.
True of Southern NE, perhaps, but north of Portland, it's not hard to find a place to moor your boat. It seems that more people tend to own their own moorings up here though, compared to further south. For $1500 you've got a mooring setup that will last decades, with new top chain added after a handful of seasons, and if you're at a public dock or just keep your dinghy on the beach, that could be the extent of your costs.

Our mooring is at a fisherman's dock, and we pay him $100 to do the service on the mooring spring and fall, and $500 for use of his floats to keep the dinghy and tie up for loading or working on the boat.

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Thanks Nate

It's actually closer to run to SE CT from here for us, then to northern Maine. Nice area, we get into your fine town several times a year doing work with Harold Macquinn, -2 miles or so north on 1 from the Bar Harbor Rd split plus over in Hulls Cove on Mt Desert. Was there in April for a few days.

Portland + is about the even break point for us to go SE or NE by road.

Hey with the price of things going way up, it might make sense to add several hours to enjoy real prices rather then Southern NE inflation. Besides no need for AC, the below-water hull temp alone will keep you comfy!

Steve

boethius27

Member II
We're living on our 35-2 in Constitution Marina in Boston Harbor. If you pass through here give us a yell.

cheers,
Justin and Jenny