• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

l@@kin like sailing weather this am....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
this am is lookin' like sailing weather if finally here...we should hit 70...
i am shootin' to get the e23 up on the lake soon ...... cheers .... :egrin:

carter lake2008.jpg

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Glad to hear that someone is actually getting some warm weather. Two weeks ago we had some decent temps so I de-winterized the motor, got the fresh water filled and running only to go back and re-winterize again. The temps dropped down again and it made me nervous. Still freezing at night and has even snowed a few times in the last couple of weeks. Our area has been running 10 to 15 degrees below average. Yuk. Looking forward to some quality sailing without the furnace on. Went out several times this winter though in between snow storms. But we are really ready for some warm weather sailing.

Spring

I'm launching The Red Witch, Friday, all waxed up, new bottom paint....Cave Run Lake in the Ky. foothills..................:egrin:

mgray003

Member II
E-25 here. We had full sun and 70 degrees here in NW Arkansas this past Saturday. My first sail of the season, and it was great!!! Glad to hear from other landlocked sailors.
Mg

Steve Swann

Member III
Windward at 65 mph...

The lazyjacks are installed, the reefing lines are run, the diesel is serviced, dripless shaft seal installed, the mast is rewired, electronics all work, batteries charged, water tank filled, and we are finally ready to go sailing for a few days! "Seahorse," Tawni, and I are heading up to northern Idaho to sail with Kim and Karlene Schoedel next week. We should be able to post some pictures afterwards of a beautiful Ericson 35 with a 25' Ericson dinghy alongside!

Tawni and I just made an offer on a 47 footer that was accepted. Looks like we are moving up and moving aboard soon!

Yours for cheap beer,

Seahorse and Crew
'77 E25 c/b

Steve Swann

Member III
A veritable cavern of space...

The nice thing about adding 22' to our topsides is that coming from a 25 footer, we really appreciate the newfound space! It's like, wow, we could actually live on this thing! What is that saying about "two-foot-itis?" :confused: I think we missed that memo!

It is bittersweet that I have to admit "Seahorse" will be going up for sale. She has been faithful and given us a lot of confidence. She owes us nothing. We love her perky personality and what she has given us in fond memories. She has been a wonderful camper on the water for us. We'll make a few more memories next week with Seahorse on Lake Pend Orielle, ID, perhaps for the last time together. :nerd: We hope that Seahorse eventually goes to a small family who likes lake and coastal exploring all over the West as much as we do.

Yep, more room for sure for supplies and cheap beer for guests. The pilothouse will be a nice addition, as well as the bigger cockpit. The aluminum hull will be a whole new chapter in learning, but hey, no blisters!

BTW, I got used to the electric winches the first time I tried one on s/v "Imagine." I can now winch up the main without setting down my beer! Kim will be extremely jealous. :egrin:

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Cheap beer on a 47' sailboat? My goodness Steve, I do believe you have lost your marbles! Sorry to hear that you will be putting Sea Horse up for sale. That boat will make someone very very happy. You should post it on this web site with pic's after you have removed all of the emty cheap beer cans.

Steve Swann

Member III
Down the Road...

Yep, cheap beer is all I'll be able to afford. And, cheap beer comes in aluminum cans - might be that I could use them as patch material on an aluminum hull!

It is said of the world cruising community, fully half of the full time cruisers out there sail in metal boats - and the other half are Americans. :)

Seahorse, hopefully, will find her way to a good home. She is truly ready for many more years of adventures!

Steve Swann

Member III
Ericsons Recently Spotted on Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho...

Kim & Karlene Schoedel and Steve & Tawni Swann, met in northern Idaho with their Ericson girls for a week on the lake. Here are a couple of pictures from the trip.

First picture me doing that reefing thingie again with Tawni driving. The second picture is Kim and Karlene showing us how it is done in a big Ericson! The third picture is Seahorse with her shoulder to the waves. Pictures 1 and 3 were taken by Kim.

Kim and Karlene are great hosts and their 35 Mk III is beautiful! Windfall sure sails a lot faster than our 25!

Attachments

• MOD  Doing that Reefing Thing.jpg
    MOD Doing that Reefing Thing.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 102
  • MOD Windfall on a beat to Hope ID.jpg
    MOD Windfall on a beat to Hope ID.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 128
  • MOD Seahorse Closehauled.jpg
    MOD Seahorse Closehauled.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
lowering the mast

I bought an E23-2 last year, have been sailing several times, however, I have not lower the mast; I have all the directions and the optional equipment,, detailed drawings, any tips in doing this, I wish I could watch someone do this only one time, I would hate to destroy the boat; I live in NE Ky. Cave Run Lake. I have raised and lower smaller masts in the past; this one is the size of a tree trunk....I'm planning to do this in Nov., just wanted to get a headstart

Tom

mgray003

Member II
I'm a new owner and have not lowered my mast either. But guys at my sail club have told me the easiest way to do this is to pull my boat into an empty slip and use halyards from boats on either side to lower the mast. Our club is kind of small...only 5 docks....maybe 75 boats...but everyone knows and helps each other. I plan to do this some time this fall to change some bulbs and install a new wind indicator.