La Petite finally got her new hatch

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
photo caption?

For the sake of the great-looking new plastic lens, I hope that you mean't to say "Life Seal" instead of Life Caulk. The later will damage plastics.
Loren

Sven

Seglare
Seal or caulk ?

Hi Loren,

For the sake of the great-looking new plastic lens, I hope that you mean't to say "Life Seal" instead of Life Caulk. The later will damage plastics.
Loren

I am not sure, but I may have a problem if that's the case. May be a very good thing that we kept the old hatch.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There's still time....

The offending solvents take at least six months or more to really work their evil, so I would just remove, clean up, and re-bed the lens in LifeSeal.

We used black LifeSeal to bed our new Lexan cabin ports (frameless on our particular boat model) in '95 and they are still waterproof and the adjacent plastic material is like new. I remember that the tubes of "Life Caulk" had specific warnings on them to avoid plastics.
FWIW, many years before, I used Life Caulk to bed a Fico vent base (white cast plastic) and after a couple of years the whole base showed tiny cracks and checks and was indeed ruined by the sealant. Polysulphide is fine for metal and wood and bedding thruhulls in FRP, but not for acrylic or polycarbonate.

Loren

Sven

Seglare
No sulphur smell

Gareth,

We didn't notice any sulphur smell, highly unusual since any project is usually accompanied by fire and brimstone expressions :)

I'll check next weekend. The instructions are obliterated by the messy black goop, but the label is still visible.

Sean,

I haven't linked except in the discussion threads. Are you talking about the projects pages ?

-Sven

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
...Sean,
I haven't linked except in the discussion threads. Are you talking about the projects pages ?...

Actually, I was thinking in the main 'Other Ericson Sites' pages - but the project pages would probably work as well... I'm getting ready to start working on the new site again in the next couple of weeks...

//sse