Lake Erie, Smaller & Shallow BUT Ferocious at Times!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Lake Erie is the smaller of the Great Lakes but is certainly not to be taken lightly.

Historically there are more shipwrecks in Lake Erie than the others. Her waves are usually short distanced between sets (unlike ocean rollers) in which your bow ends up sticking it’s nose in them and sending lots of cold spray towards the cockpit and crew.

…The link below is to the work of a Canadian photographer, Trevor Pottleberg, who goes out to capture the dramatic effects of Lake Erie’s seasonal waves rolling on to the Canadian shore and then rebounding out against more incoming waves. …Incredible photography!!! (Makes me realize that pulling the boat out for the late fall and winter months after all is a prudent choice!)

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2022/10/trevor-pottelberg-lake-erie/

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Amazing! I had my expectations after reading your post but was blown away looking at the striking photos. Imagine sailing in those!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Amazing! I had my expectations after reading your post but was blown away looking at the striking photos. Imagine sailing in those!
Hopefully I’ll never get caught in them at my area of the lake.

I did sail back towards the Detroit River from Leamington, CA one fall day in hard winds and short spaced 8 to 9 footers straight on the nose. It was one of my most uncomfortable, wet and pounding rides ever…and I’ve sailed both coasts of Florida, Fort Jefferson and the Bahamas extensively in past years. When finally back, docked and home - it was 2 shots of whiskey and straight to bed!

I might add that since my time around Lake Erie from 1987, I’ve known one friend with a 32 O’Day who sold his boat to a novice and within a month it was sunk in Lake Erie during a blow. The new skipper anchored poorly in an area of shallow and rocky bottom. The boat dragged anchor, grounded and ripped the keel loose. Additionally, I’ve heard of about 3 other vessels (not ships) having gone down.

Last edited:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Hopefully I’ll never get caught in them at my area of the lake.

I did sail back towards the Detroit River from Leamington, CA one fall day in hard winds and short spaced 8 to 9 footers straight on the nose. It was one of my most uncomfortable, wet and pounding rides ever…and I’ve sailed both coasts of Florida, Fort Jefferson and the Bahamas extensively in past years. When finally back, docked and home - it was 2 shots of whiskey and straight to bed!
Just two? Sounds like a four-shot trip to me. :) Those pictures are phenomenal. I've experienced crazy waves on Lake Ontario, but have only been on Lake Erie in beautiful conditions.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Just two? Sounds like a four-shot trip to me. :) Those pictures are phenomenal. I've experienced crazy waves on Lake Ontario, but have only been on Lake Erie in beautiful conditions.
:) …Got to admit they were actually glasses and not just shots!

I’ve also heard Lake Ontario has her own share of wind and wave as well!