Leading line aft

GrampaArt

On a 30+ how difficult and costly would it be to lead the main halyard and reefing lines back to the cockpit? I'm looking at a 1980 shallow draft. Any comments on performance and other issues, much appreciated.

McGinnis

Member II
I did this on my 27' Ericson for ease of single handing. You'll have to select appropriate hardware for your mast base blocks, the largest issue being the forces generated. Eye straps generally are insufficient if you're looking at doing a block on a spring. The Harken mast base lead blocks are a great way to go. From there, run it through a deck organizer and back to the cockpit combing. Put some clutches up and follow with a winch.

Probably close to $340 without the winch for running two lines aft. You also might need new lines unless yours are long enough to reach.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
:confused: Is it really that tough? My e29 came with a cheek block on each side at the base of the mast. If I'm single-handing, I just run the halyards through those and back to a jamb or cleat on the cabin top. The angle isn't quite right but there isn't a lot of force on those lines anyway. I had to replace one of the blocks, which was about $40. Yes, there are winches available on the cabin top, but they hardly seem necessary if pointing into the wind.