LED mast lights - brand recommendations?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm pondering which unit to purchase to replace the combo (steaming + foredeck) on the front of my mast.

Existing unit is a Perko and (from long-ago biases) I'm not generally a fan of Perko stuff. Open to input on whether I should revise my thinking on them. In the meantime, the options I'm looking at are Forespar, Aqua Signal or possibly Hella, but having no experience with any of those brands I don't know how to gauge relative quality.

Looking for an LED unit, preferably one that will perform well and last a while, and not looking to break the bank.

Anyone have particularly great (or horrid) experiences with those brands?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I have a mixture of nasa marine and marine beam navigation lights on my boat and I have been pleased with both (all LED). I think the marine beam is the best quality for the dollar in the LED navigation department, mostly because they sell direct and cut out the middle man. I have also spoken to them on the phone about some details that were not totally clear on their website and they were really helpful.

Here is a link to their products. https://store.marinebeam.com/uscg-certified-led-nav-lights/

Whatever you do get a sealed LED unit. Don't settle for an old design upgraded to an LED bulb. Just my opinion of course, but I tried that and it was not the same quality as the sealed led units I have now.
I am planning on upgrading my current steaming light to the marinebeam model because I am currently using a submersible epoxy potted trailer LED light. While it works fine it is hardly USCG approved. But it is what I had on hand last spring when my old steaming light bit the dust on launch day. (also a trailer light)

Also here is a blog post from a year or so ago about some of my other marine beam lights.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?243-electric-upgrades

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Led bulbs

Led bulbs are available for most existing lamps in use. If the masthead / foredeck fixture is in good condition, then bulb replacement is faster, and eliminates rewiring.
Bob

Keiffer

Member II
Signal Mate

About a year ago we painted, and re-wired our mast.

Part of that project was new lighting.

We went with Signal Mate and have been very happy with our choice.

New anchor light, Steaming / Deck combo light, and spreader lights.