• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Let's start a war... Opencpn vs timezero vs Inavx

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
so many parked pleasure boats, in marinas, transmit their AIS data.

There must be a reason for this. They gotta be thinking something beyond 'what're they thinking?'
Perhaps they like to check their computer at home to see if their boat is still there?

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
For anyone who wants some entertaining tutorials on OpenCPN check out David Burch from Starpath’s Youtube page. He’s a bit of a bumbling professor but he made me a fan of the software. Now he’s pushing another open source product called qtVLM which has much better weather routing functionality but I haven't found it as easy to use.

Pete the Cat

Member III
so many parked pleasure boats, in marinas, transmit their AIS data.

There must be a reason for this. They gotta be thinking something beyond 'what're they thinking?'
Perhaps they like to check their computer at home to see if their boat is still there?
I probably should start another thread, but I think AIS on small boats is undermining the usefulness in many busy harbors. I need to know the movement of a freighter trucking through SF Bay at 15knots and not have CPA alarms going off all over the place when passing a racing fleet or marina--or some dufus doing 4 knots in 23 ft sailboat when we both will be tacking long before any risk.. i believe some folks are wiring their AIS directly to the battery or through a radio that is so wired is why so many are broadcasting while docked. The big ships are required to do so as I understand.