Lexan hatches

evm

Member II
The old hatches on my E39 are soon to be replaced. I do like the teak frames with plastic "glass" and I have a very nice peice of teak ready to be cut to size.

Two or three questions come to mind. Lexan over acrylic for the impact resistance and strength? I do not know if the existing hatches are lexan or acrylic.

And does anyone want to go in on a sheet of lexan (or know of a place to get it cheap).?

The sheet at the local place is $432 (13.5/sqft) and cut pieces are $26/sqft.

I need a piece 32 x 64. That leaves a lot for portlights and smaller hatches.

Regards, Ethan (Lilith - E39 #48)

Walter Pearson

Member III
I can't answer all your questions, but it seems to me previous threads on this subject produced about the same number of proponents for acrylics (Plexiglas) and for polycarbonates (Lexan). I always liked the machinability of PC and it might be more likely to resist stress cracking around the fasteners. PC does have a lot more impact resistance, but is somewhat more flexible, so to get enough stiffness, I replaced the original 3/8 acrylic with 1/2 inch tinted PC on my E27. (There is a high modulus PC listed in some material literature, but it may not be as readily available - at least it wasn't when I was looking.)

Good luck - I like the old hatch designs too.

dave_g

Member II
You can purchase Lexan (polycarbonate) from:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

For the forward hatch on my 71 E29, I bought a 24"x24" sheet of 1/4" Abrasion-Resistant Polycarbonate for $55. I plan to overhaul the hatch in the next few months.

They also have a large inventory of aluminum, stainless, brass and bronze hardware and raw stock.

( I also bought brass key stock for replacement prop. keys and delrin balls to replace the balls in my Mainsheet traveller).

I've had good luck with them and quick delivery.

Good luck,
Dave G.