Looking for a Sherwood G908 raw water pump and rebuild kit

JoeR

I am Looking for a Sherwood G908 raw water pump and rebuild kit, the existing pump needs attention and it would be nice to have the spare. Any ideas on where to find this pump? Also, because the salt water has leaked on the engine I would like to paint the affected area, what paint to use? Engine is a Universal 5432.

Thanks,
Joe
engine Sherwood G908 - raw water pump.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had a Sherwood on my M25. I never understood the design, which seemed backwards, connected to the block with funky tabs, and made the impeller a pain to install. The shaft seal failed eventually.

Rebuilds are OK, but I was happier with a new front-loading Oberdorfer, despite the expense.
1-Sherwood 2.jpg1-Oberdorfer 2.jpg1-two water pumps.jpg

This may be your pump model--or similar.

https://www.pumpsandpartsonline.com...ler-pumps-parts/rubber-impeller-pump/N202M-07

Auto stores sell "Bronze" engine paint in spray cans. Or any color you like. You can apply with a brush (saves masking) by spraying some aerosol into a can. The "work time" is one second before evaporation.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've gotten Sherwood impellers and seals at West Marine, though not that particular model. Best to take the old parts in to make sure.

My Sherwood raw water pump is an extremely dodgy belt-drive installation scabbed on as part of an aftermarket freshwater cooling system. My long-term project list includes replacing it with an Oberdorfer, so that both pumps will use the same parts. But as long as it still works, inertia rules.

lindaloo

Member II
Another vote for Oberdorfer

I second Chris's suggestion.

When my Sherwood rusted solid I went for a change to Oberdorfer. One concern I had was the noticeably smaller impeller, I guess-timate 25% less raw water flow. After a summer of cruising it turned out to be a non-problem. Even in the "warmer" water of Desolation Sound, 70 degrees or so, the temp gauge never budged from normal.

With an Oberdorfer, you won't need a spare pump. Just keep a full service kit on hand.

Rob

JoeR

Oberdorfer I'm in

Thank you for the advice, it appears an Oberdorfer N202M-15 is in my future. Just makes sense.

I have a M-40 engine so it looks like it is not mentioned and may be a problem. Anybody with a M-40 engine and a solution?

Manufacturer: Oberdorfer
Part Number: N202M-15
Description:
Oberdorfer Pump - Used on Universal Engines
Part #N202M-15 from Oberdorfer

This model is suitable as a replacement water pump on most Universal models: M-12, M-18, M-25XP, M-25, M-30 and M-50 engines with block models Z-500, Z-400, Z-600, D-950, D-1101, D-1102, V-1902.

This model pump has a four/five hole mounting pattern without a grease cup. If you need a two bolt mounting pattern version with a grease cup, please try models N202M-03 or N202M-07.

Joe

Last edited:

woolamaloo

Member III
I second Chris's suggestion.

When my Sherwood rusted solid I went for a change to Oberdorfer. One concern I had was the noticeably smaller impeller, I guess-timate 25% less raw water flow. After a summer of cruising it turned out to be a non-problem. Even in the "warmer" water of Desolation Sound, 70 degrees or so, the temp gauge never budged from normal.

With an Oberdorfer, you won't need a spare pump. Just keep a full service kit on hand.

Rob

Rob,
I have the Oberdorfer and have several impeller and gasket spares on board. I've been considering having a spare pump too. I can't have replacement parts for everything on board. But that seems like one that makes sense to me. (Mostly because I could replace it without a mechanic's help.) What's the basis for your statement that a spare Oberdorfer is not necessary? I'd love to drop a spare pump from my list.
Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

lindaloo

Member II
Oberdorfer

Jim, the Sherwood is an all steel body. When the shaft seal went I found it very rusty inside. I tried to remove an internal retaining clip without success.

The Oberdorfer, being bronze, SHOULD be much easier to field strip and change lip seals if necessary (something you should add to the spares). How easy the carbon bearing/bushing is to replace I don't know, or how often it is needed. Impellers are obviously much easier to check/replace. The only clip is the impeller retainer and some people, on this forum, have said they just don't use them.

So. You ask a good question. Field stripping is never desirable. A new impeller is done at the dock before cruising season. But ..... if a lip seal starts to weep it never happens at home port, of course.

Now you've got me thinking !

Rob

Last edited:

woolamaloo

Member III
Rob,

I was hoping you'd convince me not to jones for a spare pump. I certainly wasn't trying to convince you to buy one. We've got this mixed up. Now, you've only made me happy that I don't have the Sherwood. :)

Besides a complete rebuild kit, I have two additional impellers and paper gaskets. I even have a pack of retainer clips and retainer clip pliers on board. That should take care of most water pump eventualities but I'll leave the backup pump (low) on my list.

Thanks,
Jim

JoeR

Which model?

Does anybody know what Oberdorfer pump fits the Universal 5432, M-40?

The Sherwood G908 attaches with compression tangs held on by bolts, it appears the Oberdorfer with the 5 bolt pattern may incorporate those bolt holes but I am not sure. There is also a -837 model which may be a direct fit, but not sure.
Thanks,
Joe

lindaloo

Member II
Oberdorfer supplier

Joe, I just made a couple of 1-800 calls to Depco and Pumps and Parts Online. Both very helpful.

Replacement for Sherwood 908 is Oberdorfer N202M-908, it is the same as 202M-15 except it has the clamp style mounting flange.

The price at Depco $412
Price at Pumps and Parts Online is $312.

I bought mine a couple of years ago and paid $400 so finally the price has come down. They could gouge the extra because Westerbeke has a lock on Sherwood 908 and, well, why undercut them?!

Read my comments re: cooling, above. It is hard to get numbers for GPM flow rate from manufacturers. Is the M 40 a four cylinder? Regardless, I found the cooling for the M25XPB totally adequate. If the 908 is good enough so too should the 202 be.

Anyway, there is price variability and they have come down. Check around and speak to tech sales.

Rob

Last edited: