m15 water temp sensor

donaldd

Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a e28+ and have been enjoying the forensic science of trying to understand previous owners repairs and additions for the last month
icon11.gif
. Question: I am pretty sure the temp sensor is bad since the wiring is good and the gauge responds to being direct grounded. Is there any way to test the sensor individually and repair if necessary. New sensors at Torrenson are $87, which seem pretty expensive to me, does anybody know of a cheaper source? I am also interested in installing a blower into the engine compartment, does anyone have any recommendations ? The cockpit engine panel has a switch for a blower, but I see no reference to a blower in any of the original literature. Thanks in advance. Donald in Berkeley

Emerald

With all wires disconnected from it, measure the resistance across the terminals on the sending unit. It should change as you go from cold to hot, typically, infinite resistance to little resistance as you go up in temperature.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Also check that all wiring connections are clean and tight. I was tracking down a hard starting problem and it turned out it was just dirty connections. You might be able to source a sending unit from a Kubota parts dealer, since those engines are Kubota blocks. Torrenson is a rip; everything they sell is overpriced.

gregdettmer

Member I
Most boats use temperature gauges and senders which use a standard range of measurement. You should be able to get a temperature sender for alot less than you were quoted at a local marine supply.

temp.jpg

I will second the suggestion to locate you local kubota tractor parts dealer as it will save you much money on all engine components. Try http://www.kubotaengine.com/distributor/engine_usa.html

Regards
Greg
s/v Spirit Soul
e38

Last edited:

gregdettmer

Member I
With regard to engine blowers my only experience is with the Rule 4” in line blower, it is compact, works great and move great amount of air but is surprisingly noisy.

Regards
Greg
s/v Spirit Soul
e38

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
With all wires disconnected from it, measure the resistance across the terminals on the sending unit. It should change as you go from cold to hot, typically, infinite resistance to little resistance as you go up in temperature.

Here are the resistance readings for a good sender from Teleflex & Jamestown Distributors: http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...bleshooting+Teleflex+Water+Temperature+Gauges

1. The resistance of the sender can be measured to determine the sender's correct operation. Remove wire to gauge. Connect an ohmmeter to terminal of sender and to engine block. Approximate values are: 75 (room temperature) = 600 to 800 ohms; 212 degrees = 55 ohms. (These are single station values- twin station values would be 1/2 these numbers).
  2. If sender is shorted (0 ohms) gauge will read above 240F.
  3. If sender has infinite resistance (Open) gauge will read below 120F.

If you need a new one the senders are available from any auto parts store. Bring the old one with you to make sure you get the correct size/threads.

donaldd

many thanks

Thank you all for the help. I am on my way to Kraken and will let you know how it works out

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Thank you all for the help. I am on my way to Kraken and will let you know how it works out

I don't know if I that is where I would go for a temperature sender.

The Kraken - Probably no legendary sea monster was as horrifying as the Kraken. According to stories this huge, many armed, creature could reach as high as the top of a sailing ship's main mast. A kraken would attack a ship by wrapping their arms around the hull and capsizing it. The crew would drown or be eaten by the monster.

Attachments

• krakencolor.jpg
    krakencolor.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 259

bayhoss

Member III
e28 blower

It sounds like you have good sources for the sending unit. My e28 has a blower for the engine compartment. I'm headed to the boat this weekend, if you like I can take some pictures and post them. As far as the Kraken goes - fight that one without me!

Best always,
Frank

Last edited: