Mahogany Galley Plywood

pmarsha3

Member II
I'm replacing the mahogany plywood face of my Galley. The local supplier has Philippines mahogany. Does anyone know the original wood species uses?

1976 E29 Erickson

Paul

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apparently Ericson went from mahogany to teak at some point, but it's really hard to say what actual wood at any point, given supply issues, price, and so on.

I've used some mahogany from standard sources (Home Depot) to roughly match teak. I find the grain varies wildly. If the grain looks similar, try stains or varnishes to affect color. Often, in the changing light of a cabin, the match looks fine.

But Home Depot mahogany can look like this:

quadrant span video .JPG

Since I was a kid, mahogany has been subject to skepticism, with old-timers always claiming it wasn't "real."

Skip

When I redid the galley in my 1976 E27 all the wood was Light Red Philippine Mahogany. Somewhat less available today but Meranti can be used (same group of specie but out of Malaysia)

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
When I redid the galley in my 1976 E27 all the wood was Light Red Philippine Mahogany. Somewhat less available today but Meranti can be used (same group of specie but out of Malaysia)
I was able to source 1/4" marine grade meranti plywood locally in Seattle, not an exact match for my 1974 E27 but close. Both the new and original pieces (fiddles) look great with Minwax Gunstock stain.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_023818660.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20230729_023818660.NIGHT.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 18