Mainsail Issue

lulugrace

Member I
Hi All,

I have an Ericson 35-3 I recently moved out of winter storage where the mast was unstepped and then stepped. I motored six hours to my summer Marina (winds weren’t favorable to sail) and found later when I tried to raise the main it would only go up less than halfway and stop. It is a double spreader mast and this happens just below the lower spreader. No exterior rigging is in the way and it is within the mast track somehow. I cannot see what is stopping it from the deck vantage point and wondered if anyone else has ever had this problem?

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
I have not had that problem but may have had a related problem. On my 32-3, the mainsail track is two pieces which are slid into a "grove" in the mast extrusion and then fastened in place using 1/4-20 flat head screws. The screws hold the two tracks coplanar so that the joint is smooth. It also keeps the track from sliding up and down the mast, but there were other screws still in place which prevented that.

On my track, I noticed it was missing one of the two screws at the joint (I bought the boat a year ago and noticed it mid-season). This did not cause any major issues in my case because the track is gripped pretty securely in the mast, but the track joint was not as "smooth" as it should have been. I installed a replacement screw (the original was 1.25" but replaced it with 1.5" because that is what I had) and all is well.

On your 35, a track fastening screw might have backed out enough to impede the mainsail slugs but not enough to fall out. If this is the case, it should be visible when sighting up the track and/or with binoculars.

lulugrace

Member I
Jerry,
Thank you so much for that - it makes perfect sense the way it is stopping suddenly I.e. Not pinching. When they were unstepping and stepping the mast that screw may have come loose. I am going up the mast tomorrow to inspect it and I will be sure to look for that.
Thanks again!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That was the case on my 32-3. Despite refastening I was no longer confident in the original track and slides, which stuck coming down as well as up.

A common upgrade is Tides Sail Track, which is widely reported a great improvement in operation and safety. (A sail that won't come down is a major problem).

lulugrace

Member I
After inspection this weekend I found no screws to work with but did see where the track connection was made. It looked like some form of permanent attachment to the mast like a headless screw for both sections of the track where they meet. I used the universal tool (hammer) to pound the meeting point flush and the mainsail goes up and down just fine now - for now.

Thanks Christian I will look into this new track system if I have another problem with it.

Thanks again folks - you have been very helpful!