Manual Horizontal Windlass install on an E32-3

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just finished up on installing a Lofrans Royal Horizontal Manual windlass on the foredeck of my E32-3. An alternative to installing an electric windlass and doing extensive modifications to the anchor locker and/or door.

IMG_1701.jpeg

I'm writing a blog about why I went with a manual windlass, the installation, what modifications I had to make, where I bought everything etc. but for now click on the link below to see a short demo video of the windlass in action.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Oops! How do I change the title on my posting. It should read “Horizontal” not vertical? Serves me right for working on it late at night.

jtsai

Member III
Just finished up on installing a Lofrans Royal Horizontal Manual windlass on the foredeck of my E32-3. An alternative to installing an electric windlass and doing extensive modifications to the anchor locker and/or door.

View attachment 42603

I'm writing a blog about why I went with a manual windlass, the installation, what modifications I had to make, where I bought everything etc. but for now click on the link below to see a short demo video of the windlass in action.

Looks great! Do you have all chain or chain/rope rode? Looking forward to the blog posting.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Looks great! Do you have all chain or chain/rope rode? Looking forward to the blog posting.
Yes, rope/ 40’ chain rode but pulling the rope part in by hand won’t be much of a problem because that part of the operation was easy to do even before the windlass. If the wind is up I can use the capstan till I get to the chain or motor up on the anchor if my first mate is at the helm. It’s the chain weight combined with the resistance from the Chesapeake mud that makes it tough. Also, it’ll be a bit cleaner to do since I won’t be handing the muddy chain which I can rinse with the wash down hose a PO installed that is also in the anchor locker which you can see in the background of the video. I also have a canvas cover on order and coming for the great price of just $89! The company also has other canvas products and I’ll include their name and contact info in the blog.

bumbugo

Member I
Can't wait to see the full blog post. We have work to do in our anchor locker and have been considering adding a windless as well.