• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marina Vocabulary, Please

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The 100 or so sailboats in our marina have captains that are most cautious, experienced and confident in approach and departures (airplane talk); what we worry about are the multitude of sleek expensive sporty over powered motor boats who inevitably exceed posted approach speeds creating wakes down the alley, with barely clad ladies on the bow, kiddos yelling, towing tubes and "drivers" with refreshment in hand and who deploy their skills in a bizarre and careless manner!

I agree and I'm trying not to be too negative here but...for some reason it seems like powerboats get into a lot more trouble when docking. At least that's what I've observed. Not often but more than sailors. I think it's because they usually have much more engine power at their disposal and more doesn't always mean better. With our relatively weaker auxiliary engines sailors are more careful about how it's used and we're more conscious of the wind and current cause we often have to work with those variables not against them. But I have asked my wife to wear some skimpy bikini type thing while we're at least docking to show that sailors can have hot women on board too. Those requests have so far gone unanswered aside from the sideways glances I've gotten from her.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree and I'm trying not to be too negative here but...for some reason it seems like powerboats get into a lot more trouble when docking. At least that's what I've observed. Not often but more than sailors. I think it's because they usually have much more engine power at their disposal and more doesn't always mean better. With our relatively weaker auxiliary engines sailors are more careful about how it's used and we're more conscious of the wind and current cause we often have to work with those variables not against them. But I have asked my wife to wear some skimpy bikini type thing while we're at least docking to show that sailors can have hot women on board too. Those requests have so far gone unanswered aside from the sideways glances I've gotten from her.
Be glad your wife is confident in her attire, and choice in men...
perhaps you could start wearing a Speedo.... :(
but having an out-of-shape guy in our YC do that in the summers when he was over 80 has caused some vision damage for quite a few of our members - of all genders....
:)

As for the powerboats -- oh my & a big sigh -- besides the "turn a key and go real fast" mentality that ownership encourages, the craft have far worse handling than your displacement hull at lower speeds. No keel, tiny rudders, lots of windage. Even the experts sometimes get into trouble, altho they seldom collide with anyone in the process.

For decades, every time a huge and illegal wake rolls thru our moorage someone sez "Bayliner wake" and 97% of the time they are right!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Be glad your wife is confident in her attire, and choice in men...
perhaps you could start wearing a Speedo.... :(
but having an out-of-shape guy in our YC do that in the summers when he was over 80 has caused some vision damage for quite a few of our members - of all genders....
:)

As for the powerboats -- oh my & a big sigh -- besides the "turn a key and go real fast" mentality that ownership encourages, the craft have far worse handling than your displacement hull at lower speeds. No keel, tiny rudders, lots of windage. Even the experts sometimes get into trouble, altho they seldom collide with anyone in the process.

For decades, every time a huge and illegal wake rolls thru our moorage someone sez "Bayliner wake" and 97% of the time they are right!

I tried wear a Speedo at the helm but it gave me a headache. I think it was cutting off my blood supply.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I tried wear a Speedo at the helm but it gave me a headache. I think it was cutting off my blood supply.
Bob: If you have a photo, maybe we can offer a suggestion to help with your headaches....no, I take that back..please ignore this request! Otherwise, maybe this attire would be appropriate with wife's approval:

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
In Virginia we have a term for dumb ass- Bless his/her little heart.
I call it a Fairway.
More importantly: In the clip, I like how she pulls in d e a d s l o w. I, too, creep in and my mishap rate is very close to zero.

I watch fellas pull into or back into their slip at what looks to me like cruising speed and depend on reversing the thrust to stop. I guess they've never experienced (or even considered) an engine stall or transmission failure just when it is needed.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Basin, fairway, harbor.......

”I don’t care what you call me, as long as you call me for dinner,”

Roger Janeway

Member II
Filkee, I'm in H basin and I love it. I hadn't realized it's dirtier than the other basins but it's not a surprise. It's the working basin, with lots of entertainment: youngsters learning to right sailboats, the sheriff and the lifeguards practicing putting out fires (and frighteningly learning to maneuver next to your slip), and all manner of contented sailors sailing their craft back to the public dock on a weekend afternoon.

But I don't want to call it a basin (for Christian's reasons) or a fairway (golf?!). I call it "down there," and point.