Mast boot/tape

edokarura

Member II
I had what looked like an over zealous application of mast boot tape sticking out beyond the canvas cover snapped onto the base of my mast. It was deteriorating and I was getting some water dripping down the inside of the mast so I decided to clean it up. I removed the cover and several wraps of the tape and then decided to stop to get some input before I made the problem worse.

What is the approved solution from here? Just remove the remainder of the old tape and put on some new? Is mast tape really the way this was meant to be done? Doesn't seem like it.

Thanks in advance! You guys are always a big help!

Ed
"Kinnaree"
'91 E-34

IMG_0395.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They do make one-piece mast boots of vinyl or such, if you pull the mast. I just use the tape to make a watertight seal, and cover it with a homemade Sunbrella boot for, uh, looks.

Pretty hard to get a watertight connection without tape, and nothing wrong with it as far as I know.

edokarura

Member II
Okay, mast tape it is, covered with a Sunbrella "boot"

West Marine is quite attached to theirs at $40+ for a 4" x 10" piece. This is just self-fusing silicone tape, right? In that case Rescue Tape would seem to work at a fraction of the cost.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

lnill

Member III
Okay, mast tape it is, covered with a Sunbrella "boot"

West Marine is quite attached to theirs at $40+ for a 4" x 10" piece. This is just self-fusing silicone tape, right? In that case Rescue Tape would seem to work at a fraction of the cost.

Any thoughts?

$28 from Defender. I have not tried to use 1 inch tape. It might actually be easier to put on than the 4 inch stuff but you will need a lot of it. BTW, one tip I read about and ended up doing the last time I stepped the mast was to do away with wedges and instead use an old dock line and silicone caulk to seal up and shim the mast. You stuff the line around the mast one round, then lay on a heavy layer of caulk, then another round of line, then more caulk, etc. It doesn't move and it doesn't leak. I left some line without caulk at the top so I will have something to pull on when I need to remove it.

edokarura

Member II
$28 from Defender. I have not tried to use 1 inch tape. It might actually be easier to put on than the 4 inch stuff but you will need a lot of it. BTW, one tip I read about and ended up doing the last time I stepped the mast was to do away with wedges and instead use an old dock line and silicone caulk to seal up and shim the mast. You stuff the line around the mast one round, then lay on a heavy layer of caulk, then another round of line, then more caulk, etc. It doesn't move and it doesn't leak. I left some line without caulk at the top so I will have something to pull on when I need to remove it.

Yeah, I just realised it was 1-inch wide. Don't know if that'll make it easier or harder. The dock line 'n' caulk idea is appealing. Tape just seems so wrong.

Thanks!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The trick with the old dock line sounds good, but only to replace or augment the mast wedges for securing the mast at the partners. I don't think it will keep the elements out and I don't particularly like the tape idea, either. How about one of these mast boots?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=75497

It can be trimmed to the right size to fit your mast but I think the installation would require more than one pair of hands. I need to install mine....had it sitting in a box for a looong time.:esad:

lnill

Member III
The trick with the old dock line sounds good, but only to replace or augment the mast wedges for securing the mast at the partners. I don't think it will keep the elements out and I don't particularly like the tape idea, either. How about one of these mast boots?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=75497

It can be trimmed to the right size to fit your mast but I think the installation would require more than one pair of hands. I need to install mine....had it sitting in a box for a looong time.:esad:
The dock line is only to replace the wedges. You need to choose a line of a diameter that will require you to drive it into the space with a screw driver or dull chisel. I also have a mast boot secured with clamps and then silicone tape over that ( insurance and appearance).

Not sure about the one size fits all boot but mine requires that the mast be un stepped to slide it on in one piece. You can probably get the original boot from Rig Rite but it will be way over priced. Some guys in my yard use an old inner tube. Not pretty but it works well.

markvone

Sustaining Member
SSI Mast Boot +1

I'm using the SSI mast boot Keith linked to. The small diameter on the mast and larger diameter on the inner mast collar are clamped with hose clamps. The soft vinyl under the hose clamps acts like a gasket so no tape required. It's best to install the boot over the end of the mast with the mast out of boat so you don't have to slit it and wrap it around. Use tape if you do slit it, the SSI boot has instructions for both. You can always replace it next time the mast is out. Use a Sunbrella cover to protect the boot from UV.

Mark

Pat C.

Member III
Something called Spartite on the market is used to replace the wedges. I installed it about 15 years ago and haven't thought about it since. Just replaces the wedges, then mast tape around the mast only, then mast boot clamped over tape on mast and the the mast collar. Then sumbrella cover to protect mast boot from UV deterioration.

Was worried about the spartite if I ever needed to pull the mast, but did so about 4 years ago, it wasn't any problem, and went right back into place when rerigged without issues.

Something to consider anyways.

www.spartite.com

gregdettmer

Member I
3 years ago I after trying some different mast seals(tape, boots, etc) I went with the rope seal option. It has been great and has held up well to the south Florida sun and rain.

Steps involved:

1. Got a few different sizes of 3 strand nylon rope (5/8”, 3/”4, 1”) Trimmed them each about 22” long to wrap onces around the mast with edgdes butting together.
  2. Relocated the wooden wedges from topside to below deck at cabin top, Trimmed flush to cabin top. (turns out with the correct size rope, the wedges are no longer needed)
  3. Installed first layer of rope. Selected size that was tight fit and had to be tapped into slot between the mast. Placed butted edges at rear of mast. Placed bead of 3M 4000 UV around rope at collar and mast.
  4. Installed second layer of rope (tight fit again) with butted edges at front of mast.
  5. Put a piece of masking tape around with bottom edge level with top of collar.
  6. Filled in between mast and collar over second layer of rope with 3M 4000 UV. Its about ¼” deep and finished flush with mast collar. Sealing entirely between mast and collar. Removed masking tape.

Wish I had taken pictures as I was doing the install. Attached a sketch to help explain.

Does not take much time at all and spent less than $30 (3M 4000 and some pieces of rope).

I had found the idea on some website on how to do this but it’s very hard to find. Still very happy with the results.

Attachments

• mast seal.jpg
    mast seal.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 965

e38 owner

Member III
Really like the rope idea
I found a solution I have been using in a maintenance sailing book. It has worked quite well and is not expensive
It suggested going to a tire store and picking up a used truck tire inner tube. (one tube will last many years)
I then wrapped the tube around the mast and sealed with hose clamps. Canvas cover over the top and some clear tommy tape to seal for extra measure. Also put a dab of Silicone in the mast track. Seems to work well in rain and snow