• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast help

James bills

I justed bought my first Ericson 32-2 1975. On my mast the previous owner drilled hole ever two feet all the way to the top how should I address this or are they there to fish wires down the inside of the mast. I don’t want the cabin top to become compromised. And I’m looking for a main sail .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps the boat once had mast steps? Small holes in the mast don't generally weaken it. You could always fill them with rivets if they bug you.

Welcome aboard the forum. Please put your boat model, year and engine in the signature line.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I plugged some old screw holes in the mast with JBWeld. Can’t even see where they were.

‘Course, later, I drilled holes every 18 inches, for mast steps...:rolleyes:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Just a single hole every two feet or an identical group of holes every two feet? On masts with a wiring conduit inside there are generally a group of two holes every two feet or so. They are usually filed with rivets.

67rway

Member II
I had a number of empty holes in my mast/boom from who knows what, and a few items I removed/relocated.

I was recently shown a neat trick to fill them:
Tap threads in each hole, take aluminum rod (Ace Hardware) and cut a few threads on it, a quick dab of epoxy and thread it in. Next day carefully cut it flush, clean it up and put a bit of clear coat on it. Virtually gone, nothing to snag on, and easy to re-drill if ever needed.