Mast replacement

mdgann

'76 E23
I've been looking into replacing the 27 year old mast on my E23. It has seen alot of wear and tear and may be weakened where there was alot of corrosion underneath the winch mounts. Anyway, every where I look the sections are so small and light compared to the old one, I am unsure. Did they overbuild the old one or is the Aluminum stronger or something? I'm talking alot of difference. I don't have the exact cross section, but the new ones are around 4.88 X 3.00 inches. My old one is at least 7.0 X 4.0 and maybe bigger. I'll measure tonight and post tomorrow. Thanks for any info. M.Gann

escapade

Inactive Member
Try Rig-Rite @ www.rigrite.com They bought the Kenyon stock when they went out of business and have a good supply of different tube sizes & the knowledge to get you the right pieces. There may be company's on the West Coast that have the correct pieces also. You might try a web search. Rig-Rite was able to exactly match the tube size & shape when I added 3 1/2' to the mast of my E34. Be prepared for "sticker shock" though. It ain't cheap to buy rigging parts!
Good luck & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Bob in Va

Member III
Dimensions

The stock mast should measure 6.5" x 3.25". Check Seth's comments in issue #5 of 23 Tell-Tales - he addressed this question. I believe that to be the same cross section as the masts on the E25 and E27, meaning lots of weight up there. Plenty of larger boats with more sail area used smaller masts, as you know.

Ken Haneline

Member II
I have a black mast and spreaders which need to be cleaned up. Any suggestions as to the appropriate paint and preparation? Thanks, Ken