Mast Winch Size

sailorman

Member II
Need to know the make and size of the winch on the mast port side (Jib halyard ) Ericson 35 MKll. I plan to change wire to rope on the main halyard and need to replace the wire winch on the starboard side. Sailman

oop! Thanks Christain for proof reading !

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since that gear was optional, sizes vary. But it is easy to fix typos by hitting "edit." Editing the title requires "Go Advanced."

And it subsequently makes wisecrackers like me look very confused.

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Winch size

Sailorman:
You might check the bolt pattern and size of the bolt circle. Then you can check winches that will fit the existing mounting. Else you might need the services of a machinest.
Bob

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As I found when I replaced the winches on my mast, there are no guarantees. The old ones required the unobtainable small-head Lewmar winch handle. In an attempt to fit the same bolt pattern, I upgraded to the same size Lewmar winches, but new enough to use modern universally-available winch handles. The bolt pattern turned out to be completely different. :mad:

I bit the bullet and drilled and tapped new holes. After the fact, it occurred to me that I could have made adapter rings / winch bases that screwed onto the mast with the old bolts but attached to whatever winch I wanted with a second set of bolts. There were nicer winches I could have had for less money...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since you need a new winch (and wire reel winches are out of repute), there's also the option of putting the new winch on the cabin house and leading the halyard back.

Makes sense now if you've ever wanted or planned to do it.

I like Toddster's idea for the mast. Buy the winch you want and make a mount. Or just drill and tap new holes for the new winch, that part's easy. For looks, just put pop rivets in the old holes.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
FWIW I'm in the process of installing a reel winch on my mast as I replace my Genoa halyard from wire-to-rope with thin Amsteel synthetic. With the sail on a furler it took a mere 20 years for me to realize that I only use the halyard once a season and would rather have it on the reel out of the way than snaking all over the cabintop all season. This frees up a halyard rope clutch, a turning block and a mast step block.

sailorman

Member II
FWIW I'm in the process of installing a reel winch on my mast as I replace my Genoa halyard from wire-to-rope with thin Amsteel synthetic. With the sail on a furler it took a mere 20 years for me to realize that I only use the halyard once a season and would rather have it on the reel out of the way than snaking all over the cabintop all season. This frees up a halyard rope clutch, a turning block and a mast step block.[/QUOT

Excellent thinking ! My mast it alteady down so if possible I will attemp to reverse the wire and rope halyards. Move the wire main halyard and wire winch to the port side and use it as the jib halyard move the jib winch and rope to starboard side and use as main halyard. Also switch out the sheaves on the mast head. My head sail is also on a furler
so one less coil line on the mast is fine with me.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I was very surprised to discover how reasonable the price of Amsteel synthetic line is. It's actually less expensive than traditional braided rope OR wire. If you've got your mast down anyway, you might take a look at it.

One distraction was the thickness - I had been casually looking at the price of 3/8" or 7/16" synthetic, the size of the existing rope when 3/16" is more than strong enough, the same size as wire. 0.63/foot at Defender the other day.

The other distraction was the need to accommodate the winch and rope clutch, either with new hardware or with some kind of splice or cover to thicken the line for handling comfort. With the reel, designed for an all-wire halyard, you don't need either, despite them being "out of repute" as Christian says.

I agree that reels are miserable for daily sailing operation but there are tons of worse mechanisms on boats for once-a-year operations. Getting into the lazarette to fog the engine for the winter? Sux. Disconnecting hoses to winterize the head? Sux. Spinning the handles on cradle/jack stands to accommodate the hull shape? Sux. Climbing the mast to replace blown bulbs and bent Windices? Sux. etc.