measurement from depth sounder thru hull

oldfauser

Member III
on my to do list this spring was to measure the distance from the depth sounder thru hull to the bottom of the keel on our Ericson 32-3 shoal draft (4.33')... of course I forgot as the other to do items filled up the time... I wanted to update our new depth sounder with this information...

I can enter a "good" guess of 3 feet, but of course would like a closer estimate or actual measurement. :egrin:

thanks!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Not to worry....if you have a similar flat water and bottom condition, try this.

When I first installed our depth finder on our boat in ‘73, it was a (now antique) Pierce Simpson with analog needle on a large faced dial. I had done the “wet box” method (no thru hull) and wanted to know the real indicated depth as well.

Living in Miami at the time, I was blessed with lots of soft sandy bottom areas that rose up gradually. I merely eased in slowly with the cast iron jib until the keel gently touched, looked at the indicated depth then knew for certain where the keel depth to depth finder readout was truly at.