Model Building

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'd like to try my hand at wood boat modeling. Anybody find time for this hobby or know of some good resources where I might get a start? I've built some plastic race kits, but would like to do more "art" modeling. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris

dwigle

Member III
A couple of years ago, I bought a model kit of Shamrock V by Amati. While not truely a wood kit as the hull was preformed plastic, it was a nice build. Not having to worry about the shape of the hull removed a lot of worry as I had a bad experience with a Hobie cat model years ago. On a level of complication, it was about the same as a flying scale airplane. Lots of sanding and cuts to install the "teak" deck, shaping the mast, and installing deck hardware. I believe the kit was in the $60 range.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 hull #8

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Chris -

I have a buddy in Tacoma who is a total modeling freak - does very, very, VERY nice work (I've told him to look for a job in a museum or something). He's build wood boat hulls as well as lots of other stuff - tons of custom work, etc.

I'll send you his email address off line - I'm sure he would be happy to reply to questions, etc...

//sse

Barry Lindia

Model Boat building

There is a nice start up kit available on NatureCoast.com for $219.99 kit comes with all the neccasary tools and instructions along with a model of the Bluenose. I am just getting into this hobby myself and having fun with this kit as I learn. it is making my recuperation from foot surgery quite enjoyable. :egrin:

Shadowfax

Member III
Chris,

I've built and restored a number of wood ship models. Depending on your experience in modeling, I would start on a large scale model of something like a whale boat, where you will try out all the skills necessay in moving up the skill ladder. Try looking into model makers like Blue Jacket and any number of other and they all have "starter" kits. You don't want to buy a $300 kit and get lost in the detail. You are going to need tools also. Don't start out with a $500 set. Your local hobby store will have what you need. Buy as you need.

Have fun

Paul
s/v Shadowfax

admirals barge

Member III
boat modeling

while i was between boats i raced and still race r/c sailboats(fiberglass hull). there are a lot of club members that build wooden schooners and sailboats. the r/c ers are more like a family and always welcome newcomers and lend a hand and advise. the fun part is that after you build it you can sail it.there a some really beautifully detailed boats and just plain janes, but everybody has fun sailing them. its just a thought

happy boating
greg
74 35 II # 325

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Victoria RC

Greg, I have a Victoria RC model that I'm just getting into racing. The club has RC races at the watering hole after big boat racing. It's what has gotten me interested in modeling other boats. I might do an RC option on a handmade model in the future if I'm brave. Right now I'm working on making a new rig and new racing sails for the Victoria.
Here's a picture of 'Freeride' (named after my greyhound)

Attachments

• Freeride.jpg
    Freeride.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 117