• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Moisture in COAX cable

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have heard, over the decades, that moisture often becomes a problem with our long VHF cables to the masthead. It affects transmitting and reception.
Since we normally replace this when overhauling the rig about every 15 or 20 years, it seemed like a preventative maintenance sorta thing.

Yesterday I got an object lesson in that problem.
After putting up with pixelating and also some audio dropouts in our TV cable content for a week I first followed the Xfinity site advice and called them -- they basically did a remote reset of their box. When all done, 'bout a half hour later having elapsed, the problem remained.
I had not noticed any slowdown in my internet, but now suspect that it was also affected.

I next had to go into one of their local service centers, after getting a quick appointment. The rep was helpful and said that the phone/remote trouble shooting was important and showed that the signal problem was outside our house. He scheduled a technician visit for a day later.

The guy, with big company van and lotsa ladders arrived on time. He first opened the outside ground level connection box, which is in a sheltered location. When he unscrewed the shiny coax connection and let it drop, drops of water started coming out and did so for many minutes. The metal coax connector also showed some corrosion inside, with some inspection.
He said it's common for water to enter and degrade the signal when fall rains arrive, and we recently had a strong storm move thru. Replaced the long run up the side of her house, and out to the pole, about 50 feet, give or take. No visible nicks in the cable, from a casual inspection. It was about 14 years old.

Success. No more pixilated channel content. And, even my internet speed seems faster.

No huge epiphany except that joking around with that guy about finding a problem with "RF leaking out of the cable" reminded me of the reason we replace the coax that goes to our masthead, 55 feet off the water. :rolleyes: A number of years ago, I was also told by a radio technician that heat will degrade the foam insulation layer inside he coax, over time, and affect the signal. So, it's best viewed as a "consumable" , IMO.

Happy transmitting to you all ! And may you experience a satisfying reception, too....

Last edited: