More on Cockpit Umbrellas

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Old Salt Joseph commented:

Pst wondering what happened to that girly umbrella from Thelonious I.

That girly umbrella provides great service in both sun and sprinkles, up here in the PNW.

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
So Christain I see how you got rid is that girly umbrella. Just leave in on board when you sell it, waving good by and good riddance as it heads up north. Certainly could have used it yesterday in PNW. Seattle Tuesday 75 degrees and hot for us.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I went with a 7' heavy duty "vented" market umbrella this time. It's flatter and seems to stand up to the wind better.

I'm going to use a set of those rectangular white plastic tube clamps this time, to hold the lower tube to the rail guard.

The measurement of umbrella isn't standard and to get the right fit for the space, bear in mind that:

Typical crowned beach umbrellas are measured across the crown. The practical diameter is smaller.

Flatish umbrellas like the market style are measured tip to tip, which means the space between the ribs is smaller than that.

Both factors affect what will fit between the ped guard and the backstay.

This may be an over-complete reply to a wisecrack, but we are nothing here if not over-complete.

Here's the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO0FrqNQe8s&spfreload=5

1-DSC_0264.JPG

Last edited:

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Just a friendly ribbing, and I know you can handle it. Anyone who can cross oceans at a few years older than I, I'm 69, I believe can handle nearly anything. I also don't have a Bimini. Use my sunbrella boom tent when it gets too hot. Not necessary very often in Seattle. Keep your chin up and left ready to block that round house. Good sailing to you and yours. By the way if all those beautiful young ladies are all your daughters you must have a beautiful wife as well. Don't forget to duck. Joe

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Just a friendly ribbing, and I know you can handle it. Anyone who can cross oceans at a few years older than I, I'm 69, I believe can handle nearly anything. I also don't have a Bimini. Use my sunbrella boom tent when it gets too hot. Not necessary very often in Seattle. Keep your chin up and left ready to block that round house. Good sailing to you and yours. By the way if all those beautiful young ladies are all your daughters you must have a beautiful wife as well. Don't forget to duck. Joe

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Add me to the girly-man umbrella club.

I, like Christian, have a bit of an animus against dodgers. Christian's setup inspired me to look into a solution for my own little tiller-steered E26. Turns out that an off the shelf Magma umbrella is the ideal size for my boat. Since my boat is tiller steered there is no steering pedestal against which to mount the umbrella. But the E26 has a bridge deck, and it was a simple matter of cannibalizing the mount that came with the umbrella and affixing it to the bridge deck. It's located exactly right to cover the helmsman while under way, and also to shield someone lounging in the cockpit with his/her back against the companionway bulkhead.

The Magma umbrella is also vented, and is mounted to a flexible fiberglass pole. The umbrella has 4 attachment points so sometimes (particularly when I deploy it under sail) I will affix lines to these points to maintain the umbrella's position.

My one initial disappointment with the Magma umbrella was that the standard fabric on the umbrella actually did little to shield me from UV, which was the main point for buying the thing! After the first few trips to and from Catalina I came back nearly as burnt as I would have without it. After doing a little searching, I discovered that shortly after I purchased mine, Magma came out with a model that specifically advertises itself as furnishing UV protection! They continue to sell the ones that don't but added this one to their lineup. (Take a look at http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Boat_Umbrellas/boat_umbrellas.html and note the difference in the description between the "UV blocking model" and the other two.) When I originally bought mine the UV model was not an option, and it never occurred to me that the standard umbrella would do virtually nothing to block the sun!

To West Marine's credit, they took back the one I bought and let me apply the full price toward the cost of the UV model (at a slightly higher price). I can say that it works very well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo Dec 12, 9 01 18 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 01 18 AM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Photo Dec 12, 9 00 15 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 00 15 AM.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 105

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
What happens if the breeze pipes up? You do a Mary Poppins act?
Nope. It's vented so it doesn't turn inside out. Plus, as I mentioned, there are 4 lines anchoring it in place (if I choose to use them). I've had it up in at least 25 kts. at the dock and there was no problem at all. Under way I've had it up in 15 kts. or so.

MMLOGAN

Member III
A couple of options for shade

This summer I though I was going to have to replace a very large "beach" umbrella that I found at Costco 4 years ago. It is very similar to this item sold by Sears:

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...S4JJXhSdDo-vzEzF949AOCghpXAHDVanIvBoCPnnw_wcB

My boat partner had called and apologized for not securing the umbrella when the wind picked up. I grabbed the Sears version on the way to the Ferry since the boat was in Avalon. The Sears umbrella did the job for the rest of the trip but, I doubt it will last long. It has tie down points, vents and "wings".

When I got home I took a look at the Costco umbrella and was able to repair it with some stainless steel wire and a ton of patience. I have not been able to find a replacement for the Costco version but I continue to look.

Just my .02 cents.