Mounting air conditioning unit in settee locker32-3

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Air Conditioner

My search results aren't giving me a good or bad answer - I have decided to mount my air conditioning unit in the port aft settee locker. My question is, can I screw directly into the bottom of the locker, or do I have to put a plywood shelf in the bottom of the locker first?

This is a 1987 32-3.

Thanks,
Steve

Just remember when mounting an air conditioner in an Ericson 32-3 that these boats do not like a lot of extra weight in the bow. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Our v Bert mounted AC

Just remember when mounting an air conditioner in an Ericson 32-3 that these boats do not like a lot of extra weight in the bow. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

I haven't been on this site for a long time and just read through all the replies and saw the images. Great job with installing the new AC! On our 32-3 the unit is mounted in the v berth. The PO pulled the water tank that was under the sleeping area and installed it in that space. The return is next to the seat in the v berth and the air is ducted into the v berth through the locker and into the main part of the cabin all on the starboard side.

Our two big house batteries are in the compartment in front of the nav station. Also forward n the same lock is a second greasy water tank. The boat still handles well even with the AC unit in the v berth.

Al Emondi

Member II
Air Conditioner in the Starboard Salon Locker

Great posts and recommendations. I too am in the mode of considering AC for my '87 32-3. I have some questions that maybe some of you have already solved.

(1) 12K BTU or 16K BTU? I live in Charleston, been in the 90's and cabin temps are reaching about 105 degrees when no AC is running. The portable Cruisair hatch AC struggles to keep up once I am able to muscle it into place, I believe it is rated at 5000 BTUs. I am concerned going to a 16K BTU system, it seems one heck of a jump. Don't want cold humid air. I see that a few 32-3 owners have went with the 16K BTU units - any problems/concerns. Anyone using 12K BTU systems?

(2) Exhaust vents in the main salon only, or is it worth it to run a separate exhaust vent to the v bunk?

(3) Any preferred manufacturers?

If I can find a unit that fits well in the starboard locker (aft of the water tank), then I would be inclined to run duct on the lower starboard shelf and through the hanging locker in the v bunk. If space allows for the duct placement, then I am thinking to put an exhaust vent off of the duct in the salon, and another vent off the duct in the v-bunk. The return would be cut in the side of the settee locker.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We just stayed on the hook this weekend with temps in the 90s. The AC kept things very comfortable so we could sleep. Now I just need to improve my extended run fuel tank for my Honda 2000:)....

We installed a Mermaid 16,000 btu with vents in v-berth, main saloon and aft cabin. Water for the pump comes from a thru hull under the head sink. Installed a Dometic Smart Start so the Honda can take the hit from the compressor.

AC is a wonderful addition.

Last edited: