Multimeter Recommendation Needed

markvone

Sustaining Member
Howdy Fellow Vikings,

I'm looking to replace an ancient Radio Shack meter with something new. Any suggestions/experience?

Thanks!

Mark

e38 owner

Member III
Howdy Fellow Vikings,

I'm looking to replace an ancient Radio Shack meter with something new. Any suggestions/experience?

Thanks!

Mark

I have two like them both
1. A cheapy digital from harbor freight. the one with the wire clamp. Only problem if you leave it on the batteries cost more than the meter to replace http://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-on-digital-multimeter-95683.html

2. A ryobi from home depot that uses a rechargeable battery. It came with two batteries and almost never needs charging. Automatically determines volt range so it took a while to get used too http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Te...er-RP4020/100671269?keyword=ryobi+multi+meter

3. I have bought a few of the really cheep almost free ones from harbor freight. they work ok but are a little flimsy. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner

Mark - You know what you want to do with the meter. Buy one that does what you need. Cheap throw-a ways are good if you just want to measure voltage and resistance. Play your cards right and you can find one free meter at Harbor
Freight.

There is no point spending $200 for a great meter if you don't need it or know how to use it, but conversely, a free meter won't help if you need a $200 meter. Most of us just need to know if the voltage is 13.4 volts or 12.8 volts, 120VAC or 110VAC, or open circuit or short circuit. The free meter will give these readings to the accuracy most of us need.

The meter Maine Sail recommends, Mastech MS 2108, is a nice meter, but more than most sailors would know how to use.

Keep in mind that multimeters are very much like wrist watches... the man who has one is happy. The man with two is confused. :nerd:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Multimeter Post

Christian: Great search......I have been using a digital from Radio Shack since 1990......to replace the "Expensive" one given to me by a very fine electrical engineer.......when it died I figured to use this until I did my research on getting a better one.....

The reason I continued to use this meter is that it worked, and I was to lazy to search out another one......now I can proudly point to not having the best but the cheapest.....I am almost always accused of overspending....

markvone

Sustaining Member
Thanks Everybody!

It's nice to know that the cheapies are pretty useful. My analog Radio Shack still works but I find I use my DC test lamp the most, followed by my AC current indicator.

I need to check my possibly dead battery charger so I'd like to easily measure DC current.

I'm assuming that the clamp meters will measure current without needing to be inline. Is this correct?

This is about the most function I need for now.

Thanks again,

Mark

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm assuming that the clamp meters will measure current without needing to be inline. Is this correct?

Yes, they clamp around the one wire you want to test. You can't test multi conductor cables if more than one conductor is carrying current. They developed from AC meters designed for large conductors so they are generally larger than is convenient on a boat. You can buy splitters to measure currents coming out of an AC outlet.

Before buying a clamp-on meter for direct current I would verify that it does read DC current. Not long ago DC reading clamp-on meters were very expensive. I don't think you will find one at Harbor Freight. Also verify that the scales are useful for you.

Maine Sail

Member III
Sorry for the misleading link...

Here's the rest of the story on the Mastech MS2108

Cheap Electrical Tools = False Economy

After that debacle I would urge buying meters from companies with an actual reputation such as Craftsman, Blue Sea, Klein, Greenlee, Ideal, Extech, Sperry, Ryobi or even Milwaukee and let them be the judge of their Chinese manufacturer. Mastech can make some decent products, sadly this is not one of them, but how do you know which are good ones and which are the bad ones........???

I am not immune to taking gambles on cheap-er tools but I am also not shy of calling them out as to the performance realities when they turn out to not be a good value. Yep I went to Foxwoods on this clamp meter and I paid the Tribe.......

Pat C.

Member III
I have several cheap ones (Greenlee, another little yellow one I don't recall who makes it), tolerable. One day I will own a Fluke, probably a 179 model, they are arguably the best. Remember almost buying one from West Marine back in the 90's when they sold them. Should have bought it from the start and learn how to use it instead of investing in dumb down versions.

regardless of what you start with, invest in a variety of leads, will make things much easier when contorting to use on a boat wishing you had a second set of hands.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I would urge buying meters from companies with an actual reputation such as Craftsman, Blue Sea, Klein, Greenlee, Ideal, Extech, Sperry, Ryobi or even Milwaukee

I'm usually of the "buy once, cry once" school of thought - if I need to buy a tool, it makes more sense to pay for quality than to pay for a succession of suboptimal shortcuts.

But I'm way out of my element here... and looking at the interwebs I see meters from $15 to $500 and I lack the knowledge to understand the meaningful differences.

Now that the Mastech is out of the picture, is there a meter you'd recommend - with a good set of features for use on a boat, and which will be reasonably accurate and reliable and durable - for under, say $200?

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

I have only ever owned 2 in my life

I got my first meter a fluke 177 in 1984 when I took my first High School Electronics Class. It lasted until an accident in 2004.

I then was given a 179 which I have had since then.

The first 177 one cost me a few dollars a year, maybe a fiver if you count the 3 batteries I put in it over the 20 years I owned it. I can't count how many boat problems it diagnosed.

My 179 is as good a meter. Clamp on is nice for somethings, but not really all that necessary for most boat electrical systems or electronics. Cost per year of this meter so far. $30.00 I am fairly certain bar some accident again, it will end up costing less than $15.00 a year. I have used a lot of "just as good" client meters, and almost every time after messing with their meters for few minutes, reached for mine that always works. I like the 179 a little better because of the Temp functions, which I have used in a variety of situations.

For what most boaters know how to do with a meter, the 115 would probably work for everything they need. At less than $150.00 cost per year would probably work out to less than $7.00

Could another meter brand last you 20+ years, probably, but I know this one will.

I also have a $19.00 meter fold up style that I got at Radio Shack, that is the only one that ever leaves the boat NOT IN MY hand. It has failed to come back several times and been replaced. Also been through a couple of them that just quit working. :) I never really use it, so don't count it as one of mine. LOL

Guy
:)

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I got my first meter a fluke 177 in 1984 when I took my first High School Electronics Class. It lasted until an accident in 2004.

I then was given a 179 which I have had since then.

The first 177 one cost me a few dollars a year, maybe a fiver if you count the 3 batteries I put in it over the 20 years I owned it. I can't count how many boat problems it diagnosed.

My 179 is as good a meter. Clamp on is nice for somethings, but not really all that necessary for most boat electrical systems or electronics. Cost per year of this meter so far. $30.00 I am fairly certain bar some accident again, it will end up costing less than $15.00 a year. I have used a lot of "just as good" client meters, and almost every time after messing with their meters for few minutes, reached for mine that always works. I like the 179 a little better because of the Temp functions, which I have used in a variety of situations.

For what most boaters know how to do with a meter, the 115 would probably work for everything they need. At less than $150.00 cost per year would probably work out to less than $7.00

Could another meter brand last you 20+ years, probably, but I know this one will.

I also have a $19.00 meter fold up style that I got at Radio Shack, that is the only one that ever leaves the boat NOT IN MY hand. It has failed to come back several times and been replaced. Also been through a couple of them that just quit working. :) I never really use it, so don't count it as one of mine. LOL

Guy
:)

When I first felt the need for a multimeter I happened to visit the electronics shop at work (Dow Chemical), where I noticed that every bench had a Fluke. So I purchased a Fluke 73 back in 1990, and still use it today.

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Meters

The job determines the tool needed. Meters like socket sets, are personal preference, need, and skill with the tool. For many years I used analog meters, and switched to digital ones. The job required a Fluke, to adjust frequencies in instrumentstion recorders. For use on the boat, i do not need anything that expensive, or calibration. Also, since I have lost tools over the side, cheaper is better.
An optimist buys his pants too small to wear now, knowing he will lose weight.
A pessimist buys a size larger, and soon fills them.
Bob