Music in Cockpit

psanburn

Member II
When I first got our boat (30+), I didn't think I would want music onboard. Well, now I find I really like it on certain occasions - when it's really blowing and the boats driving hard, some robust classical (Gorecki #3) adds a wonderful intensity to the moment.
My question is, has anyone found a way to get good sound into the cockpit without drilling big holes in the sidewalls or blasting the cabin speakers? I was wondering if small boxed speakers could be mounted in the cabin ceiling near the gangway and swivel aft, or mounting speakers on the dodger some how.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and isn't it great that sailing season is upon us!

Peter Sanburn
The Lucky
Bayview, ID

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Removable water tight boxes clamped to the stern pulpit. Waterproof speaker wire plugs mounted in the stern rail, so you can easily unplug and stow the speakers below when not in use.

tripper_dave

Member II
The previous owner of our 30-2 mounted West Marine speaker-boxes with brackets on the bimini frame, worked really well on our dleivery sail from Niagara on the Lake to Toronto.... great tunes + great friends + great winds + great boat = fantastic sail
I am SO pumped about this season!

newpbs

Member III
Under Helm?

I mounted a pair of outdoor speaker boxes just below my helm. They are out of the way and under the cover when I am not sailing. I, too, did not want to cut and large holes into the cockpit.

Music is a nice thing to have, in moderation. Often, we just enjoy the quiet.

Paul

Blue Chip

Member III
Boy, this is hard to describe. In our 32-200 cockpit there is a space between both the Starboard and Port benches and the bench that goes across the stern. The cockpit drains are in that space. Just above those drains on the STERN BENCH "wall" are my speakers. If you lift up the stern locker covers you can see them. The speaker wire for the UHF radio also runs to one of them so you can easily monitor CH 16 while at the helm.
Does that make sense??? Sorry I don't have a picture.

thomthod

Member II
I have Polk Atriums down below and got tired of blasting them to the cockpit of my E29. So I got a pair of 60 dollar west marine speakers that I paid 20 for from someone in our club and installed them into the walls of the back of the cockpit. I thought about mounting them in boxes and facing forward but that was too much werk! They work great. Now I need to find a place to hard mount my XM radio antenna. Sailing without music is like Blasephmy!

T

blooz traveler

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I would not feel comfortable flush mounting speakers in the cockpit without an enclosure behind them. I would not want a soggy paper speaker cone, or any speaker cone, to be my last defense against flooding if I take one over the stern or get knocked down.