• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need jib sheet recommendation for 38-200

c.gustafson

Member II
Hi Mates. I need to replace the jib sheets on my '87 Ericson 38-200. I still have the original Barient 32ST winches. My present thinking is to go with (a) New England Sta-Set, (b) Samson XLS3, or (c) Samson Trophy --- all in 9/16 diameter. Is there any consensus re the best jib sheets for a 38-200? Is 9/16 the right diameter? As always, many thanks for your assistance!

Craig

David Grimm

E38-200
Here is what I put on mine last season. I already have a 148% genoa that they were able to sew some extra life into. I went with the durable 120 for my planned trip to Bermuda. It's probably on the highest cost for the lowest performance material but the craftsmanship in my inexperienced eye is far superior to most.

North Sails Milford
125 Old Gate Lane
Milford, Connecticut - 06460
United States
QUS191773-003
Boat: ERICSON 38
Client: David Grimm
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Furling 120% Genoa NPC Cross-Cut NorDac ND72MA
I: 15.239m
J: 4.953m LP: 120%

Extra Qty
Foam Pad & Roller Reefing Sail Structure 1
UV Leech and Foot (WeatherMax PSA) 1
Drawstring Sailbag 1

David Grimm

E38-200
Ohh my bad, sta-set 1/2 inch. That is a size down from what my boat came with. The 5/8 was nice but very bulky and unnecessary. I used the larks head knot this time. After 1 season I couldn't get it out. So the sheets are wrapped around the sail in the bag for the winter. I'm not sure how long they are but you need 4 full wraps around the winch. So with sail fully furlled up i have 4 wraps. I suggest to buy 100 feet and cut to exact preferences. The extra is nice to have around.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
From the resources section, here at EY.org....

There is a lot of stuff there,,,,download and check it out. :cool:

Attachments

• E38 Running Rigging Factory Specs.pdf
    184.5 KB · Views: 8

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
BTW I really like the Samson MLX3 for sheets and halyards. Low stretch, good to the hand, doesn't break the bank.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
BTW I really like the Samson MLX3 for sheets and halyards. Low stretch, good to the hand, doesn't break the bank.

Thanks Keith, and All those that posted

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well I'm going to go against the grain here, in that I used12-strand New England 5/8" Regatta Braid (60' each) for my jib sheets. They fit the self tailing winch really well, and they are super comfortable on your hands.

p.gazibara

Member III
I believe I used New England Sta-set for all my halyards when I changed them back in 2016. I wouldn’t use that rope again, rough on the hands and crispy after it gets salty/sun soaked. For my furling line I used marlow(can’t remember the exact rope) so so so much better. That furling line has spent more time doused by saltwater and sun than any of my lines and it is always nice on the hands. All lines I purchased from fisheries supply in Seattle.

Soon I’ll be replacing some of those halyards with some type of dyneema cored rope. Probably Marlow if it’s around here.

-p

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I believe I used New England Sta-set for all my halyards when I changed them back in 2016. I wouldn’t use that rope again, rough on the hands and crispy after it gets salty/sun soaked. For my furling line I used marlow(can’t remember the exact rope) so so so much better. That furling line has spent more time doused by saltwater and sun than any of my lines and it is always nice on the hands. All lines I purchased from fisheries supply in Seattle.

Soon I’ll be replacing some of those halyards with some type of dyneema cored rope. Probably Marlow if it’s around here.

-p
How about the Jib/foresail Sheets?
Line type, length, diameter? E-38
Thanks

p.gazibara

Member III
How about the Jib/foresail Sheets?
Line type, length, diameter? E-38
Thanks
Couldn’t tell you for an E-38. For our 35-2 the jib sheets that came with the boat are 1/2” standard yacht-braid (polyester double braid) and probably 40-45’ long. Diameter would probably depend on your winches if they are self tailing.