• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New 31 Independence Owner in Marina del Rey

Waayout

Hello Ericson community, i'm a long time lurker that's benefited greatly from everyone's posts and recommendations. I bought Hull #59 named Imi Loa which has a fairly extensive digital footprint with posts on this site, a wordpress blog in the early 2010s, and cruisers forum posts dating back to 2009. I never had the privilege of meeting Glyn and was saddened to see Dawn Treader for sale, before I purchased Imi Loa I used to look at his boat from the walk way near the yacht club!

I had her hull painted in the spring with Awl Grip Mystic Jade and she garners frequent compliments. Oliver at UK installed a really nice stack pack on her that matches the dodger and she's coming along with a lot of scrubbing, polishing, etc..

Sailed her from the moorings in San Diego where she lived to Oceanside, to 2 harbors, to Pedro on her initial voyage, had a few wild moments but it was a great way of getting to know each other! She's in A basin at Waves MDR, out most weekends running north to the SM Pier south to El Segundo and back through the south entrance to MDR. Sailed her back to Catalina (cat harbor) this past summer solo and had a really nice time.

I've enjoyed reading Tenn's posts about his Independence and thought it best to introduce myself, invite anyone in the area to stop by, and simply thank this community for the inspiration and information.

Best,
GavinImi Loa.jpg

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Welcome Gavin. Nice boat. :egrin:
It is a bit sad to see long time owners like Glyn having to part with a boat they loved. But it does give others the chance to experience these wonderful vessels. I’m happy to take my turn at stewardship.

Curious about your windlass setup, I’m in the process of looking for one.

Waayout

Thank you David! After some online sleuthing I determined it was an RC Plath 7B. It was bound up a bit so I repeatedly sprayed Seafaom Deep Creep until it freed up. It seems to function correctly but its mounted oddly (backwards?). I can take a picture of it, the incoming chain fouls the chain on its way into the locker, i have to separate them physically while cranking. By all accounts its a very solid design, I ordered a new handle for it, the folks at RC are good people and still building these by hand in Oregon.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Thanks. I've put my shopping on hold for a bit while I deal with a chainplate issue, but I'll put it on the list of possibilities.

Waayout

Good luck on the chainplates, the pictures were helpful in understanding how they're glassed in!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Curious about your windlass setup, I’m in the process of looking for one.
Couldn’t help but take notice of your mention of a windlass. You might consider a Lofrans manual.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Hi Bob
I had read your installation blog several weeks ago, nicely done. I wanted to go with a manual as well, and thought about one of those, but wasn't sure if it would fit between the end of the bowsprit and the Samson post. In the meantime, I found one of these. It's a Muir VM500 in bronze. All the other fittings on deck are bronze, so I think it will fit in nicely.
IMG_1143.JPG

Waayout

Hey Sislander,

Good to hear, did you buy Dawn Treader? That's a beautiful boat. Hope to see you around as well!

Best,
Gavin

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Hey Sislander,

Good to hear, did you buy Dawn Treader? That's a beautiful boat. Hope to see you around as well!

Best,
Gavin
I guess that means Glyn is not sailing anymore. He was good to have in the Ericson community so it is a shame he has gone.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hi Bob
I had read your installation blog several weeks ago, nicely done. I wanted to go with a manual as well, and thought about one of those, but wasn't sure if it would fit between the end of the bowsprit and the Samson post. In the meantime, I found one of these. It's a Muir VM500 in bronze. All the other fittings on deck are bronze, so I think it will fit in nicely.
View attachment 45754
I actually considered one of these but couldn’t even find one to look at let alone purchase. Also, and this is just my opinion which worth is always up for debate, but I thought that cranking the chain rode up with a circular motion, close to the deck, might be harder then a forward / aft movement of the windlass lever like that on the LoFran manual. Again, my opinion and you need to go with what you think is right for you boat.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
After a hoist or two, my back might agree with you. We'll see how it goes.
We are going to mount it to a teak block that will put it 3 or 4 inches off the deck so that it can clear the back of the bowsprit and the front of the Samson post. Will that be enough to make a difference? We'll see, when it warms up enough to mount it.