New cushions for e29

simdim

Member II
Folks,
Almost ready to change my '70 schick inside upholstery to something from this century. Will have to change foam as well since it is to the pancake highs, and I am looking for pros and cons on different materials - vinyl, sunbrella or something else all together. Should we stay with back vinyl or mesh is a better option? Any input is appreciated (I want to know my options before presenting to the decision maker :) )

Cheers,

RJOlm

New Cushions

We just had new cushions for the entire boat E-29 #370 this year. We selected the sunbrella upholstery fabric and 4" foam from Sailrite. I had a locale guy sew it all up our total cost was about $1600.00. I have not put them back in the boat yet.
PHP:
[LEFT][/LEFT]
we have been tracking down a persistent leak on the starboard side near the side stays. The water ends up in the locker under the settee. Any ideas of where else to check? I have rebedded the life line stantions and side stays?

dwigle

Member III
probably much wrong but cheap.

There have been a couple of threads on new cushions lately. For the past two boats, I have sewn cushions using the originals as patterns. My first attempt on the Ericson was to do the same, then I recovered the cushion under the fireplace Just a piece of wood with fabric stapled to it. Granted, it was sewn and squared off neatly, but the idea was there. Now I have cushions with fabric stapled to boards, 1/8 or 3/16 thick marine plywood. Friends who have done the same have been gone for a couple of years now ( in New Zealand) aren't having any problems.
My current fabric is something I bought on epay, maybe $75 for enough to do the boat twice. Buy mattress foam and an electric carving knife. Make the patterns for the cushions using the plywood, cut the foam, lay the cloth over like making a bed or wrapping a present, use monel staples and you have a new cushion. For backrests, I leave a little foam above the board for comfort.
If you are worried about it breathing, drill holes in the plywood.

Don

cm.johnson

Just bought a 34T and I'm going to try it!

Gosh Don,
That sounds easy, but I'm sure the devil is in the details. I just bought a 1978 Ericson 34T last week and have been trying to decide on what to spend the little bit of money I have left. Replace old, dated cushions or buy a bimini. With your suggestion as a DIY project, I just might have money for both! It might take a while, but I'll send pictures when I'm done.
Chris

simdim

Member II
Thanks folks! Looks like I need to visit sailrite site to look for new foam and material and balance it against $1600 price mark - definitively a winter project.

RJOlm,
Did you cut new foam yourself or the same guy who had sewed them also cut the foam?

RJOlm

New Foam

Thanks folks! Looks like I need to visit sailrite site to look for new foam and material and balance it against $1600 price mark - definitively a winter project.

RJOlm,
Did you cut new foam yourself or the same guy who had sewed them also cut the foam?

We had the old (nasty cushions) he could use for a pattern. He cut the foam to size. Part of why I paid a pro to do the job. The foam, Sailrite Bioside Reflex was expensive it takes 4 sheets for the cushions we used 4" the seat backs are 2" foam. The Bottoms are done in naughhyde tops in the sunbrella. All the back rests are tuck and roll. I varnished the plywood for the seat backs after trimming to size.