New Member in Kansas

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Greetings from land-locked Kansas! New owner of an Ericson 26-2 on Lake Perry. Never owned a boat and not sailed much beyond a dinghy. Grew up crewing on a Windmill and later, a bit of my own sailing on a US1.

Been snooping here for a while in anticipation of the purchase. I think I've found (and followed) most of the current and former E26 owners. I've appreciate all I have been able to learn so far. The boat needs some love, but it floats (currently in the water year-round) and the engine runs, albeit a bit rough.

I intend to use the blog to document my progress, so hopefully some of my repairs and experiences can inspire or help others. I know I'll certainly need a lot of help.

Looking forward to the Spring thaw.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Welcome KS Dave!
Even down here in central Texas....looking forward to a thaw! Tomorrow 15 degrees, day after 5 ! Record breaking for our area to say the least...mostly worried about my boats 3 water tanks. Lake temps still in the high 50's so hoping that a coating of ice on the deck will act like an igloo and high water temps may help. Access for several days has been impossible due to ice! Shore power has been hap hazard so that is not a solution for heat.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Thanks, Tex. I saw that you guys got hit with unusual cold, too. More unusual than it is for us, even. Warm water should definitely help you. We're not going to thaw until the end of the week and our water was already pretty cold.

It's_Cold!.png
Surface Water Temperature = 33 (DegF) as of: 12/FEB/2021 12: 00

Slick470

Member III
Welcome Dave, and congrats on the new to you boat. I grew up sailing on Cheney and Tuttle Creek reservoirs in Kansas and have heard good things about Perry.

There used to be an Ericson dealer in Kansas City called Heartland Yachts and I know a few boats from that dealership ended up at Perry. Our boat was ordered through them and delivered to the original owners who lived somewhere in Missouri. I don't know where they sailed it locally, but they eventually took it to Florida.

c.gustafson

Member II
Hi Dave. I'm on my 2nd Ericson sailboat on Lake Perry. Started with an '80 Ericson 30+ that I sailed for about 10 years, and purchased an '87 Ericson 38-200, Valhalla, a few years ago. I keep Valhalla at the Perry Yacht Club --- great place for sailboats and sailors! Which marina do you have your sailboat?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Hi Dave. I'm on my 2nd Ericson sailboat on Lake Perry. Started with an '80 Ericson 30+ that I sailed for about 10 years, and purchased an '87 Ericson 38-200, Valhalla, a few years ago. I keep Valhalla at the Perry Yacht Club --- great place for sailboats and sailors! Which marina do you have your sailboat?
I'm at PYC as well - we're new members. I'll PM you with details.