• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
The Cal 21 www.cal21.com is far from over built, 1,400#-Egg Shell of a boat. 20's and above were "brick shithouses" but good boats.

oh yea, i am thinkin' back to the cal36 we had , in the early 70's, marina del ray, lots of catilina trips...being a bit over engineered...but not too bad...i do remember us motoring out of avalon one morning, lots of comotion, 6 kids on board, heading down to a quite cove up a ways from avalon....anyway, my dad at the helm..doing a few things at once...when all of a sudden a VERY loud BANG and shudder (the whole boat) then silence....we had motored right into a large steel mooring or "can" and hit it head on...couldn't see a scratch, mark, or anything on the hull later that day....the hit lifted the stel bbq cover of the bbq and dropped it smartly into the water..never to be seen again..scared everyone till we all figed out what occured...took a while to get the heartbeats back down to normal after that....nive time to be on a solid fiberglass boat i thought....:nerd:

You beat me to the punch. I also contacted the previous owner of 'The Red Witch' but you were too quick for me. I primarily wanted it so that I could finally get hold of a slip at Cave Run Lake - a very scarce resource for which they've even closed the waiting list.

Anyway, I was telling a friend of mine about the possibility of buying an E23 and he (a film buff) immediately mentioned an old 1948 John Wayne film, "The Wake of the Red Witch", a seafaring swashbuckler and apparently the only time John Wayne played a villain. IMDB says the movie is based on a novel of the same name by Garland Roark.<ahref ="http: www.imdb.com=" title="" tt0040946=""></ahref>

I'm new at Cave Run; would like to meet you someday at the lake; is your boat at Cave Run...I'm in slip H3...Bob sent me the book "Wake Of The Red Witch"
Keep in touch...
Tom

sleather

Sustaining Member
Joe

I'm new at Cave Run; would like to meet you someday at the lake; is your boat at Cave Run...I'm in slip H3...Bob sent me the book "Wake Of The Red Witch"
Keep in touch...
Tom

We were thinking that maybe the Red Witch went "down" w/ the "skipper"(just like in the movie) LOL

You might want to PM(Private Message) Joe, as he did "post" today!

How's life w/ the ~~~NEW~~~ boat???

Joe

Member II
Tom:
No, my boat is on the hard in a barn amongst the horses and chickens.
In fact, my wife and I went to Cave Run yesterday, driving through that nice prolonged and soft rain for nearly an hour. It sure is great to see things greening up after one of the driest summers on record. Hay is selling for record prices.

They still have no free slips but I did see the Red Witch on Dock H. There is a nice Ercicson 25 a bit further on and to the left. I also saw a Catalina 27LE and a Pearson 30 with 'for sale' banners flapping in the wind.

I wonder if the owner of the Ericson 25 is a member of this board?

Bob in Va

Member III
Agreed

When I first dropped the mast on my 23 right after buying it, some feathers and other assorted goodies came out the bottom. It took me the better part of an hour to poke, scrape, and shake out enough feathers to fill a good sized pillow, plus assorted other goodies (small bones, etc.) It wasn't until I talked to the previous owner that I learned the boat had been stored in a barn for 11 years - a story that was later confirmed by the broker who had known the owner at that time. So in a sense, I got an extra 11 years wear and tear credit when I bought the boat. And maybe a barn isn't such a bad place for a boat after all - especially in the winter.

Last edited: