• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Owner of an Ericson Independence 31

TSchex

Hello! My name's Tre' & I just recently purchased an Independence 31, she's a beautiful boat & I'm excited to get under way. Hull #28, and she's down in Florida right now. There is some work to be done on her before hand. I'm hoping to get her in the water in a few months, she needs a bottom job and some QoL upgrades (AIS, etc.) I have found myself with a lot of time and resources to fix her up. Before long I'll need to have her in New Orleans so I'm hoping to get everything that needs to be done to sail done relatively quickly. I'm curious about the chain plates/standing rigging and sail design mostly right now as those are the parts of construction/sailing that I don't have any experience with.

Any advice would help a ton!

dt222

Member III
Welcome! I own hull #60 located up in Southern Maine. My chain plates (titanium) were changed to external locations by a previous owner after a chain plate failure. We are a small group of owners due to small hull numbers but will help whenever we can. I sail mine as a sloop (w/o the staysail) and replace the standing rigging the year before last, new sails (except the staysail) in 2018 from Mack Sails in Florida.

TSchex

Welcome! I own hull #60 located up in Southern Maine. My chain plates (titanium) were changed to external locations by a previous owner after a chain plate failure. We are a small group of owners due to small hull numbers but will help whenever we can. I sail mine as a sloop (w/o the staysail) and replace the standing rigging the year before last, new sails (except the staysail) in 2018 from Mack Sails in Florida.
Are you in the Portland area? I've spent some time there, the bay is beautiful for sailing!

I am a bit worried I will have to replace my chainplates, and have considered the external mounting of new ones, would you suggest it ?

dt222

Member III
Sorry it took me so long to respond. We are on York, Maine which is south of Portland (on the NH border). I looked at the details on the chain plate work- it was done in the Fall of 2000 while the boat was in Maryland, and done in 2 steps. The replacement was performed first by Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis And the new ones were stainless (2 @ 1/8 x 1 1/2 x 1/2 and 3 @ 1/4 x 1/12). Then Seaside Boat Work in Annapolis removed the old chain plates and reassembled the interior. Here is a picture of what it looks like.
chainpl-jpg.39717

Attachments

• chainpl.jpg
    chainpl.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 81