Nigel Calder Workshops in Port Townsend

bertboyer

Member II
As a newbie sailor and hopeful Ericson owner (I'm still searching daily!) I regularly read your threads on boat maintenance and repair. I recently signed up to attend the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA in September (it's on my possible relocation list) and received an email today about some Nigel Calder workshops. They look pretty interesting to me and I signed up for the introductory diesel engine maintenance workshop.

The description led me to his new web page that includes an extensive online electrical course.

https://boathowto.com/

Many of you already know about these things, but I thought it might be useful for me and other newbies who are encountering a steep learning curve. I'd appreciate your thoughts on these workshops and online courses as I might sign up for more if you think they sound worthwhile. If there are other workshops or online courses you have discovered, please let me know. It's fine to send me a personal message if more appropriate.

Thank you!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Years ago I took a course in diesel engines at the Annapolis School of Seamanship where besides classroom instruction we had a real life Yanmar to work on and run. It was a great course with lots of printed info and I also took copious notes which I still refer to from time to time.

andy beach

Member II
We have attended two diesel workshops in the past. Both got slightly off track by questions from participants about their specific engine and problems they were having. I think Nigel would be a great teacher/moderator to keep the workshop on track. I was fortunate to find a great mechanic in our small community that would allow me to watch him work and show me some of the tricks of the trade. Sometimes I would call him up with a problem and he would encourage me to do it myself! He was always there in case I got in over my head.

bertboyer

Member II
Thank you all. It sounds like the first diesel seminar is definitely worth attending and I'm glad I signed up. Perhaps I'll wait until I find my dream boat to take the second course that focuses on the engine 'acting up,' as well as the electrical online course.

If anyone knows of other in-person courses in the PNW, please let me know.

phildogginit

Member II
Thank you all. It sounds like the first diesel seminar is definitely worth attending and I'm glad I signed up. Perhaps I'll wait until I find my dream boat to take the second course that focuses on the engine 'acting up,' as well as the electrical online course.

If anyone knows of other in-person courses in the PNW, please let me know.
Ben Gartside of Gartside Marine Engines gave a weekend course in Sidney, B.C. a few years ago it was very useful.