No cotter pins in any of the below deck chain plate turnbuckles

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
Just noticed this when going to adjust the head bulkhead chainplate that looks like it's lifted the deck a skosh. Although I assume since they're not subject to the movement of the above deck turnbuckles, it still seems at odds with general cruising safety measures, but since it's all of them, seems like a pretty glaring oversight if they're supposed to have them. Is this normal/ok?

Also noticed the starboard aft turnbuckle was so backed out there wasn't any way to put a pin in it regardless, although it's just barely out of sight so most if not all threads are engaged. I'm not at the boat just yet today but I'm thinking it couldn't be adjusted without fabricating a longer chainplate anyway. Is this unusual/unsafe to have not even enough thread showing to put in a pin?

Not intending to cross any oceans or be out in gales but don't want to be that guy...

20240620_164017.jpg 20240620_164058.jpg

As long as the subject is turnbuckles, I've decided to try Brion Toss's turnbuckle locking tip using bronze TIG rod instead of pins. Seems neat-o and no gooey tape required. Anyone have real world experience and/or comments on that?

Thanks much...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The only "inside" turnbuckle on our Olson is the one that secures the cabin top down to a slot in the spar. I have those locked with an SS "ring ding" on both ends.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I may be a little concerned with the one in the photo on right with a glance but as you say most if not all threads are engaged. The turnbuckle bodies in pics are fixed so those aren't moving and can't see how/where the rods are adjusted from above. Are those pinned or lock nutted ?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . but I'm thinking it couldn't be adjusted without fabricating a longer chainplate anyway. . . .

View attachment 50307
. . .

You wouldn't need to do anything with the chain plates. You could just add a longer toggle. You might find a standard size that works or some people here have had custom toggles made, though I don't recall where. You could add a second toggle, but I'm not sure you have room.

I doubt it came from the factory that far extended. Assuming not, I'm curious why someone felt it necessary to move it that far out.

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
Thanks y'all. I'm going to have to go back and look up at the top end, to see what's up there. I assume there's some kind of threaded socket on the bottom of the U bolt fitting and since re-bedding all the deck hardware is on my list anyway, I'll need to know that.

Also need to look for any evidence of why/how that one is so short. Just seems odd...

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Just noticed this when going to adjust the head bulkhead chainplate that looks like it's lifted the deck a skosh. Although I assume since they're not subject to the movement of the above deck turnbuckles, it still seems at odds with general cruising safety measures, but since it's all of them, seems like a pretty glaring oversight if they're supposed to have them. Is this normal/ok?

Also noticed the starboard aft turnbuckle was so backed out there wasn't any way to put a pin in it regardless, although it's just barely out of sight so most if not all threads are engaged. I'm not at the boat just yet today but I'm thinking it couldn't be adjusted without fabricating a longer chainplate anyway. Is this unusual/unsafe to have not even enough thread showing to put in a pin?
Hi Matthew,
I paid attention to this when I was on our boat today. I'll be darned if ours aren't much the same. I don't think our previous owner was prone to innovation, so, maybe that is how they came from the factory. Short and no cotter pins.
Cheers,
Jeff
chain plates PF.jpg

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
thanks for checking, Jeff. good to know it's not just ne.

another oddity, to me, was after the last bit of tuning, the head door was way out of alignment, with the upper corner unable to close without smacking it with my fist. Its fit has varied before but that was the worst i've seen and assumed my tuning was oil canning the deck.

so I cleaned the bottom and prop.

when I got to the boat today, the door was opening and closing perfectly and after a wonderful afternoon sail, was still perfect.

my conclusion is that Ericsons exist outside the laws of mere physics. it's the only logical explanation.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
my conclusion is that Ericsons exist outside the laws of mere physics. it's the only logical explanation.
Good one. I do feel that way when sailing!

I can never figure out why my head door is sticking, or not. Humidity, rig tension, slow settling of materials, hull temperature (I have a dark blue hull), or just plain orneriness. One thing I know for sure is that I spend more time worrying about it than I should.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey

Not intending to cross any oceans or be out in gales but don't want to be that guy...

View attachment 50306 View attachment 50307

As long as the subject is turnbuckles, I've decided to try Brion Toss's turnbuckle locking tip using bronze TIG rod instead of pins. Seems neat-o and no gooey tape required. Anyone have real world experience and/or comments on that?

Thanks much...
Checked mine today due to this thread. No cotter pins either, but a much longer thread showing.
IMG_1705.jpeg