Non-skid rejuvenating

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My non-skid on deck doesn’t grip as well as I’d like to . I’ve been told it could be wax on the non-skid, but the guy who waxed my boat tells me he doesn’t use wax on the non-skid . Maybe it’s just worn (?) . Is there anyway to rejuvenate the non-skid ( or at least improve it short of repainting the deck and applying new non skid ? I don’t want to do that right now ….

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might contemplate this thread...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our new "sanded" AwlGrip non skid is so good it's beyond excellent. We were out yesterday evening in gusty winds and heeling pretty good in gusts at 15 to 17 kts. (never got the rail under, but were close to doing so.)
My two crew/friends remarked that their shoe soles really 'stick' to the deck and cockpit sole. Considering how slippery all this was for the last decade before the re-paint, the boat is magnitudes safer now.

Only downside is that you do have to be careful if down on a bare knee -- it can be harsh on skin.
That said, the tradeoff is 110% worth it.

I believe that the more "rubbery" surface of KiwiGrip might be a bit more forgiving, but friends that have it do say that it traps dirt a lot and can be tedious to clean.
"Everything's a compromise" as the saying goes.

JPS27

Member III
I've mentioned before on this forum that I have been pleased with TotalBoat non-skid. It aggressiveness seems to be a notch below Loren's description, but I feel plenty safe with its traction. A lot of people like Kiwi grip and I'm sure I would have too. But what I wanted was to keep the traditional nonskid look if I could. The TotalBoat was easy to apply, gave traction, and kept the nonskid pattern. FWIW, my thoughts.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Thanks , both of these methods sound like it involves repainting the deck . If I do that myself , it’s definitely going to look like , uh well, like I did it myself :) ..maybe I’ll try a few swipes of 100 grit sandpaper in an isolated area to see if that roughens it up ( or removes old wax if there is any on there )

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mine is worn and slippery too. Here is another thread on the subject. I haven't done anything yet. Leaning toward grout sealer...