• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

$ome Perspective on Interior Fini$hing Out

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Leo's newest video. So much is explained that will eventually be "out of sight and out of mind".
I was struck by the immense amount of labor, expertise and material that is going into that big boat. Admittedly this is a far far larger boat than even the largest Ericson 46.

Still.... it is obvious why builders of production (and semi production) boats use such extensive one and two-part complex backbone/framing moldings to eliminate hundreds and hundreds of hours of labor per boat. Ericson then overlaid all this in a lot of solid and veneered parts, and that mostly hides the very complex "backbone" that is the TAFG.

Most of the EY boat owners are knowledgeable about the structure of their boats, and most probably appreciate the reason and rationale for the Bruce King (and Ron Holland) engineering. Even our Olson has a partial interior FRP grid structure.

To me this video is a reminder of how ordinary middle class individuals like us are and were able to afford actual 'yachts'. If each of our boats were made up of thousands of finely fitted wood parts the cost in labor and materials would totally out of our reach. Like impossibly so.

Now back to the mundane world of maintaining 30 and 40 year old fittings and systems! :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can't help knowing how expensive the wood is, how crazy complex every cut, how many machines involved. Working those table saws every day alone brings a nerve reflex, as after a minor incident 10 years ago nothing scares me like the sound of my little portable starting up. They're just lethal (yes, the angles in the video are foreshortened by the lens, not really that close).

I don't remember seeing stainless fittings. If I saw it right, those pine bunk boards are fastened with bronze. Or gold.

Leo is making an art object as well as a boat. I don't know why, maybe he doesn't either. No shortcuts.

When Slocum was rebuilding Spray, which had been a near derelict, his countrymen watching would ask "but will it pay?" I take it that's a Nova Scotian and New Englander approach to boatbuilding, or once was. Will Tally Ho pay?

I guess it makes Leo Leo, which is saying something. Or Don Quixote.

I guess it's about time to send him some money. But how viewers pay for this I don't understand. Perhaps behind the scenes is a billionaire already helping out, or perhaps one will come along to add to his art collection.

I am used to glass sailboats. Wooden boats leak. The accommodations look, well, spartan. Perhaps that misses the point.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I've been watching Tally Ho since the very beginning - all the interesting twists and turns. What an amazing journey, and an impressive subscribers community.
I wonder if she'll be sold into a sailing/boat-building training school - in the UK - with Leo remaining/employed as sailing master while he starts his next project.

paul culver

Member III
I'm a big fan too. My favorite is:

Milling Live Oak in the Deep South - Rebuilding Tally Ho EP19​

What an entertaining character.

woolamaloo

Member III
We've been watching from the very beginning. It's one of the "sailing channels" that my wife doesn't fall asleep to. In 2018, we found ourselves driving from Astoria to Port Angeles to take the ferry to Victoria. We had bought Leo a lens that he had on his Amazon wishlist and I emailed him and asked if we could stop by while we were driving through Sequim. He graciously assented. He gave us a tour and he showed us the lens we bought him - which I got a picture of him holding along with my wife. We were very conscious of his time so we only stayed for about 20 minutes. It was fascinating and we could have asked questions all afternoon. We were so impressed with what he was doing, that I pushed another $100 into his hand as we were leaving. We've been modest patrons ever since.

Back then, it seemed like he was going at his own pace. He'd get done when he's done. Or not. Now, with a full team to manage and over 400,000 subscribers watching, I'm worried that the stress may take the fun out of it for him. He's a kind and thoughtful young man with remarkable skills and what he's doing is incredible. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. And, I hope the journey there is still a joyous one for him.

Kathleen and Leo.jpg

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I'm a big fan too. My favorite is:

Milling Live Oak in the Deep South - Rebuilding Tally Ho EP19​

What an entertaining character.
That was one of the best! Similarly the other one(s?) involving trips to a saw mill to find and select other wood.
The keel-pouring episode was great too, and the intro to Pete … and his feet

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder

To me this video is a reminder of how ordinary middle class individuals like us are and were able to afford actual 'yachts'. If each of our boats were made up of thousands of finely fitted wood parts the cost in labor and materials would totally out of our reach. Like impossibly so.

Now back to the mundane world of maintaining 30 and 40 year old fittings and systems! :)
You know, for the next US-based ENWR, perhaps we should think about Port Townsend and seeing if it would be possible to visit his workshop and meet him in person.... =)