One more go-'round on props

clohman

Member II
I replaced our stock 2-bladed prop with a Campbell Sailor 3-blade which allegedly offers less drag and more thrust. http://www.westbynorth.com/

I get 7+ knots at 3000 RPM. The "take" of this give-and take scenario is no prop walk and less backing power.

I'm now researching the "get one-more-knot" option and looking at the auto-prop option with its advertised automatic pitch adjustment. Since this will drain my year's spending allowance, I'd appreciate your Pearls of Wisdom and experience before I reach for my wallet.

Last edited:

RON CARTER

Member I
prop go-around

we and po were suffering with high pitched singin prop at 1400 to 1900 rpm and 2000 to 2200 which persisted thru complete engine replacement of all components except shaft and prop. we were running a federal 3 blade 16 X 10 which gave plenty of power............... We recently changed to Campbell 3 blade 14 X 9 and are very happy, no longer singing at any rpm and we are getting following numbers: 1500 rpm 4.2 knots, 2000 rpm 6.2 knots, 2500 rpm 7.3 knot , 2900 rpm 7.8 knot..............all of this on a fresh painted bottom. Hope this helps. Ron Carter Azgard 35 -3 1983 new motor is Universal 25 XPB

RON CARTER

Member I
Campell Prop on 35-3

We have no problem in reverse. There is less walk to port then with prev Federal prop. We tend to back out of slip with very short burst at 1100 rpm until we get some steerage, which works fine, but we are still finding new prop to be more neutral in regards to walk. Norm Ross of North by Northwest who sells props here in Vancouver B.C. seems to be very knowledgable and insisted on the 14 X 9 configuration versus prior 16 X 10. You can bring him up on e-mail or I will find and send to you... By the way cost last Oct 2005 was only 475. Cdn , but has recently increase I am told
regards Ron

clohman

Member II
Thanks for the feedback. I have virtually no prop-walk in reverse. Like Ron - and as taught to me by the broker who sold us the boat - we give it a burst of RPM to gain steerage way and then let-off the throttle, using only the rudder to manuever out of the slip. During this RPM surge, the boat does not pull to port.

By 'no backing power' I meant that the design that enables less drag seems also to reduce the amount of rearward thrust, as compared to the original 2-bladed prop that came with the boat. Our Campbell is a 14" x 8 RH model.

In the absence of any other testimonies, it sounds like there's not a whole lot to be gained by one of the self-pitching props, other than to sink my wallet.

Thanks again...