Guest viewing is limited

Optimum voltage setpoint adjustments?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Okay Electrical Gurus!
I am messing about with my Ample Power NS2 regulator and it allows adjustment of Absorption Voltage, Float Voltage and Absorption Time setpoints. Ample suggests AV at 14.4volts and FV at 13.6volts. I can find no specific information on how to set the voltage setpoints for my current batteries. The house is off-brands that came with the boat (3) wet-cell group 31's, deep cycle, approximately 300+ amp/hrs, and one Interstate heavy-duty group 31 starting battery, new last season, the model Ample Power recommended. General research has indicated that Absorption Voltage at 14.4 volts, Float Voltage at 13.6volts is fairly conservative and that is where I set them. The Absorption Time adjustment is more troublesome. My brief research indicates setting the Absorption Time at 30minutes for every 100amp/hours is appropriate so I set the Absorption Time for a 90 minute setpoint. I would like your input on these settings given my battery bank. Thanks, RT

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am curious where you found the figure 30 mins per 100 ampere hours, as I have not seen that before, nor any real guide to the question.

The charger I bought, and the other that I looked at, had four, and six hour preset intervals respectively; and when I phoned their tech rep, he did not give me any real explanation as to why.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Check this link out: http://www.davidsonbattery.com/faqs/#introduction Thats where I got it. There was another link that I cannot find. AmplePower stated that setting Absorption Time to this general rule was "reasonable" Its all quite vague but I am guessing that a battery manufacturer would have the answer. My batteries are marked Napa Commercial Truck/Tractor/Utility. No idea who makes them since I know Napa isn't in the battery biz. They are all from '00-'01 so they are on borrowed time anyway. :egrin: RT