Painter Tape Marks on Fiberglass

omgirl

Member II
Alright... finally have made my first rookie mistake with our new boat. I knew it would come at some time! We have been sanding and varnishing and put some tape on that we left on just 1 day too long...

We now have remnants of the sticky painters tape on the fiberglass around our woodwork. Does anyone have an easy way to get this off without damaging anything?

Thanks for any ideas!

Shadowfax

Member III
There are a number of products available, like "Goop Off" and 3 M makes a product. Mineral spirts will also do it. All will probably remove any wax, so be prepared fto rewax the area

Guy Stevens

3 M General Adhesive Remover

Is about the best if it is only tape adhesive. Goop off is a great product, works on an amazing number of things, but isn't quite as good as the 3m product for tape adhesive residue.

Guy
:)

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Wd-40?

I've used wd-40 on land based stickies... I very specifically don't keep any on the boat since it attracts gunk, but would it hurt gelcoat? I wouldn't think so, and it's a fantastic sticky remover. Anyone know?

Guy Stevens

Xylene maybe keroseen no

wd-40 Is keroseen and soap. It will leave a residue in the fiberglass which then is something else to get off.

Lighter fluid is xylene or naptha, both are great adhesive solvents, though not always work on all adhesives. They are also available in 1/2 gallon cans at most good hardware stores for a lot less than you pay for lighterfluid in a tiny squeese bottle.

Guy
:)

CaptnNero

Accelerant
flexible spackle knife

In combination with the lighter fluid you might want to use a small flexible plastic spackling knife. I've had good results removing aged gelcoat tape and boat lettering. The spacking blade will of course save your fingers and nails without scraping that precious, dainty, and delicate gelcoat.