painting interior floor hole covers


Member III
Question for marine coating experts.

I am painting new marine plywood covers for the access cutouts in the cabin sole.

Thinking of using Rustoleum marine topside paint (because I have a can).
Have read recommendation to first seal with diluted spar varnish (probably also Rustoleum because I have an unopened can of that as well).
Does that make sense ? And would it also need a primer on top of the sealer ?



Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Blogs Author
It's a good idea to coat those covers with CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealant).

But good ideas are a dime a dozen, and any old house paint works too for that application.


Member III
didn't have epoxy sealant around (but will get some for future work), so went with thinned clear varnish to seal, then 2 more varnish coats on the top. White topside paint on the bottom. We'll see how it holds up.

cabin sole access covers.jpg


Member III
I did mine with a couple coats of varnish when I remade them. The originals lasted till about 2010 with just factory grey paint.