• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Painting my stern

Eric Gordon

E27 - Sea Star
My boat is at the Shipyard being bottom-painted (see photos) and some other minor work.

Tomorrow, I plan to do some DIY work which would be difficult on the water, specifically removing the old boat name and location (what’s left of it) and prepaing for painting….I may even try and paint one coat if I can.

Questions:

1. What can I used to remove the sticky glue from the old boat name? (without damaging/removing existing paint? I was going to use laquer thinner.

2. What’s best to fill the small screw holes which were filled in by the PO long ago, but seem like I could fill with some kind of epoxy/resin?

I was going to use a dremel to rough up the crazing/cracks, then also fill with epoxy/resin. (Probably some West Marine stuff.

What are your thoughts?

Eric

Attachments

• bottom paint rudder.jpg
    bottom paint rudder.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9
  • bottom paint sea star 1.jpg
    bottom paint sea star 1.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 9
  • sea star stern now.jpg
    sea star stern now.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 9

David Vaughn

E31 Independence - Decatur AL
Blogs Author
We used a heat gun to soften old letters and then Goof-Off to get the remaining glue off. Applied with those blue dish scrubber pads, cleaned it pretty easily without scratching paint.

For the holes, thickened epoxy will work great. Prepare the surface using a countersink drill bit to bevel the top of the hole just a bit so the epoxy has more surface to grip. Clean with acetone. Then clean again. With any epoxy work preparation is the key.

For the cracks, Dremel is a good choice. Grind down far enough to be sure the cracks are just cosmetic and not something deeper. Clean well then fill with thickened epoxy.

Good luck.