Pedestal Repair/Replacement - '84 E381

DrZiplock

Member II
The resurrection of the E381 formerly known as "Grey Goose" continues.

I've been clearing the decks of all hardware as I get prepped to do a full refinish on the topsides and only have two challenging pieces left. The first is the mainsail traveler track which I'll save for another post after I go read what Christian did with his (spoiler: did they affix this thing with 5200?! holy crap.)

Anyway, the pedestal on my girl was shot to hell and back. The typical YS base rot and the rest of it was banged and marred up enough that I'm replacing the entire thing - while also converting the engine to a single control lever. The YS is 6.5" center of bolt to center of bolt. I spoke with the fine folks at Edson when I was at the Annapolis boat show (and several times after) and they're 6" center to center soooo...that's challenge #1. Has anyone done the conversion from YS to Edson and if so, how did you handle the holes? I'm thinking standard operating procedure of route out/over drill, and then thickened epoxy filled...but want to be sure that this is the time and place for that.

Second challenge is the idler. The idler on the 381 is unlike any I've seen. The condition needs to be assessed, but I'm not opposed to having a machine shop fabricate it but this time with the pedestal bolt holes in the necessary location. Again, thoughts? Do I switch to the Edson idler?

Hoping to hear anyone's experiences with the same swap.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One option is to just put a new base on the old pedestal. Cosmetic nicks and such can be easily filled and painted.

Or you can try to find a used YS pedestal. They exist out there. Easier than switching to Edson.

If you were to put a new base on, as in this blog entry, make sure the welder knows it must be strong--not just tack welds.