Pivot pin

wngzfan

Have asked this ? before what is the screw size and depth for the centerboard pivot pin? Was told a # 8 screw but do not know the depth and do not want to puncture the hull this is keeping me from my first sail since I have bought the boat May 25, 2009. Have done alot since then and ready to get out AZ. cool weather coming soon Thank God and wife :wife: is ready to have it out of the yard please help but know once she gets out with the kids she will love it. Art

davisr

Member III
Wngzfan,

I recall that you are an E25cb owner, so I'm guessing that this is the pivot pin for this particular Ericson. I just measured my own pin: 1/2 inch x 7 3/4 inches. The ends of the pin, as you probably know, are not square. They are cut at what appear to be 45 degree angles in order to account for the sheer of the hull. There is one hole drilled through each end of the pin. The holes pass through the areas in which the 45 degree angles are cut. Stainless steel screws must then be screwed through the holes up into the hull in order to hold the pin in place. The screws should not be too long for obvious reasons. Mine are about 1/2 inch max. When the boat yard removed my centerboard, it took quite a bit of effort to extract the pin - even after the screws had been removed. The yard owner had to hammer it out with a screwdriver on one end and and pull it out on the other end with vice grips. Hammer, pull, hammer, pull. Eventually it came free. Better a tight fit, I suppose, than a loose one.

Hope this helps,
Roscoe

E25cb, #226

Joe

Member II
What Roscoe said. The original manual specifies the screws as 10-24 x 1/2" FHB (flat head bright). If memory serves, the '10' indicates a 3/16" screw. The manual also says to "peen" the screws after installation - strike the edge of the screw heads with a center punch to "set" them.