Guest viewing is limited

Placement of fairleads on '85 Ericson 30+

GrumpyPawPaw

Member I
On my 30+ I have two tracks, one on the outside edge and the other next to the cabin top. My fairleads are attached to the track next to the cabin. One person said since I have a 150 Genoa, the fairlead should be place farther back on the outside track. This would make the sheets trail outside of the lifelines. Is it ok to set my sheets up this way and what advantage would it be?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

Others will offer their opinion on this I'm sure, but on our 1984 E30+ with a 125% genoa, I have tried leading the sheets both outside and inside on several occasions. My experience is that I can point a bit higher when they are sheeted on the inside track, but my speed is noticeably better on the outside track. I have decided to leave them on the outside, at least for now. I would think that a 150% genoa would be even harder to run on the inside track.

For you own satisfaction, you might want to try it each way to see the effect, before you decide. However, the experts on this site might give you a clear answer, and if so, I would take their advice. :)

Frank

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Grump,

I have always read (including on this forum....Seth & others) that the sheet, when trimmed, should bisect the angle formed by the leech and the foot of the sail. So if you can visualize it from the cockpit or opposite deck, if the sheet is pointing closer up the leech than centered, move the lead back, or vice verse.

Probably the only issue with whether they are inside or outside the lifelines is when you are in the process of reefing and you need to move the lead to a more forward position. Worst case is you would need to add a second sheet to replace the outside one to switch inside the lifeline.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
As Frank pointed out, you can point higher using the inside track or go faster using the outside track. Of course your sail size may also dictate which you are able to use. I have also read the "bisecting the angle" of the clew theory but moving the car more forward or back can also be used to change the shape of the sail for different conditions.

I don't find it a problem leading the sheets outside the lifelines. From the block on the genoa car they come back to the winch under the lower lifeline between the forward gate stanchion and the next stanchion forward.

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
I understand that the conversation trend is more about inner vs outer tracks and thus the amount of slot being set. That said, I installed the Garhauer adjustable Genoa car system two years ago and have found it has significantly improved my ability to find the sweet spot for trimming the genoa(s) under various points of sail. The cost vs sailing performance gain was well worth it, especially given Garhauer's very reasonable prices for the pair.

Garhauer link: http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37

Usual disclaimer, I have no interset in this, just a happy customer.

Pat

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Big topic

I had a long post about this and it crashed before I could post. However, there are numerous long posts about this topic if you want to do a search-I and several other site mavens have written extensively on this topic in previous threads.

On the subject of the adjustable Garhauer leads-YES-the fact is the ideal lead position (fore and aft) changes almost constantly with changes in wind speed, wind angle (and amount of sheet tension), and sea condition. The ability to fine tune the lead position like this greatly improves your performance potential. Good on ya!

S