Plywood Matching

Michael Paul

Member I
I'm building a cabinet where the PO put a mini refrigerator. Has anyone had success with matching plywood and a finish to our old veneer? I've bought mahogany ply and tried multiple finishes.

Lower ply motor cover with Cetol (PO choice of finish for a spruce up), middle - new mahogany ply with same cetol finish, and top varnish.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a trick to stopping the newer ply from taking up so much finish

Attachments

• 20240613_201024.jpg
    20240613_201024.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 6

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Michael,
Are you sure the previous owner used Cetol? Also what kind of mahogany ply is the new? I would try clear polyurethane on the new stuff to see if that gets you closer to the old ply color.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Has anyone had success with matching plywood and a finish to our old veneer?
I struggled with this during a galley redesign on both my E27 and E30+ and eventually gave up and accepted that there would be different tones. For the 30+ there are already several different tones of teak and I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for teak lumber and plywood so I used several varieties of wood that came close to matching the existing teak. I originally planned on using teak veneer on the cabinet doors, but I didn't trust the sticky backing to hold for too long so I just used what plywood I could find that was close. The varnish evened things out quite a bit. I know the mahogany in the older Ericsons like my old 1972 E27 was pretty light, whereas the mahogany found at the wood store seems darker. I wonder if trying varnish instead of Cetol on the old veneer would help.

IMG_3919.jpeg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might consider sticky-back teak veneer from Rockler. It turns plywood into teak, and can be successfully varnished for (in my case) a pretty good match.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've done it a few time with various results. The biggest lesson I've learned is when you take a step back and look at the whole interior you'll find a lot of different colors, so matching a specific finish isn't as important as you think. Here's a few projects I've done:'

35-3 Nav Desk cabinet. Frame is African mahogany and the panel is sapele. both are finsihed with internluxe goldspar satin varnish
20210502_153929.jpg

Replaced engine cover- frame is sapele and the panel is the original teak panel. the top is the original teak trim. All finished in internluxe goldspar satin
20230326_183151.jpg

Ericson 25+ cabin sides - teak plywood finished in teak oil. This one was the closest match
20170904_100214.jpg